Chongy

SCCM 2012 - Top six best uses

Hey Everyone

So, I'm part of a District/Regional team that will be using a Corporate deployed SCCM 2012.

Current available Uses;

1. OSD

2. Application Deployment

3. Client Remote Tools

If I approach corporate what would other uses be;

I'm thinking

AD Group Discovery (Currently disabled). Does this make it easier to deploy applications or would I be best to stick with WMI queries? Another thing, although we have AD System discovery enabled only the basic attributes are included no custom or extended. I imagine without any of this stuff enabled or not going to be WMI might be the only way. Anyone have good ideas on how to leverage WMI filtering with limited AD attributes of using IP ranges etc?

Asset Intelligence - What can I expect to get out of this?

Any other thoughts from the community?

Thanks for your time

Chongy.

Asset Hardware Inventory, Licensing Inventory, Windows update compliance, 3rd party application update compliance, fast deployment and patching for any critical changes that need to take place quickly enterprise wide.

AD Group Discovery isn't really useful in my opinion as so many AD environments are disorganized and junk. A simple way for application monitoring and licensing is to deploy anything licensed to devices and anything not licensed to users. That way user 1 can't go to user 2's machine and install a licensed product but they can install adobe reader or something else that isn't licensed if they need it.

The biggest benefit for SCCM is deployment, Compliance, and reporting.

I use AD groups for many application deployments. IT Support staff add a users computer to a SCCM App AD group and the application deploys within the hour.

AD Group based deployments also means when you rebuild a computer the old apps get installed automatically which can be pretty handy.

I use AD groups for many application deployments. IT Support staff add a users computer to a SCCM App AD group and the application deploys within the hour.

AD Group based deployments also means when you rebuild a computer the old apps get installed automatically which can be pretty handy.

Hey Mate

Thanks for letting me know. As of this moment we are not allowed to use security groups. Unfortunately it is out of our control and just have to work with what we have. Work-arounds are a normal day to day requirement..... ;-)

But always good to know what others are doing though.

Thanks for your time

Brendon.

• Like 1

This is a couple days old, but I wanted to comment as this was something that came up in discussion recently. The top couple items have already been addressed: 1) OSD and 2) Application deployment

Outside of that I would have to say that the remote capabilities of SCCM are certainly NOT one of the reason we use the product here, much less why we would keep it around. We use GoverLAN as part of our "helpdesk" software, which compliments SCCM very well...definitely far better remote tools.

But for additional list points, Garret804 pretty much summed it up...I would say that the list could be extended like this:

3) Asset intelligence

4) System compliance

5) Reporting (perhaps a subset of 3 and 4)

6) Power management

Points 3 and 4 can be broken down into hardware and software subcategories.

• Like 1