Lightjm

OSD TS takes hours to complete

Hello Everyone!

Here's the skinny...

We are using Sccm 2012 R2 CU5 to deploy a TS that contains Windows 7 x64 and several Install Application tasks. We have been using the same TS for a year now with no issues. All of the sudden, the TS has been taking 6+ hours to complete, and is successful. We were able to image about 4000 laptops with no issue last summer. This summer we have 8000 to image and would take us years to complete at this rate.

I have Googled the issue and tried several steps, that is how we ended up on CU5, to no avail. The OS deploys fine, but when the Install Application task starts each app runs till the timeout is reached then moves on to the next application in the list. The application does install correctly and works fine. The strange thing is, 2 machines started at the same time one will move along normally and the other will "stick". I am at a loss right now. Is there someone out there that has "fixed" this issue before, or do I need to pay the $500 and call Microsoft support?

I have attached the log files for 2 different computers. The 1st is one that was in the middle of the image (Running for 2 hours so far). The second set is from a finished image that completed after running for about 5 hours.

1.dism.log

1.smsts.log

1.smsts-20150618-130602.log

2.smsts.log

2.smsts-20150618-131015.log

Have you tried rebuilding the task sequence?

I have copied the task sequence, I have removed all the tasks and added them again, but I have not started from scratch. I will try that and report back. Thanks for the tip! I am out right now but will test first thing in the morning. Please excuse my delayed response.

i had a similar issue, my TS was working perfectly for a while then i had a problem where only 1 of my 5 applications were being installed during the task sequence, the other 4 would not install, it would time out, i literally had no idea how to fix it, so i rebuilt my TS and it just seemed to work :-/

Just a thought but have you tested each application and see if they actually work and complete in a timely manner in the OS? If theyre timing out id say there is an issue with the applications. Maybe test each application at at time, then add them back to the TS one by one and see what happens.

Just a thought but have you tested each application and see if they actually work and complete in a timely manner in the OS? If theyre timing out id say there is an issue with the applications. Maybe test each application at at time, then add them back to the TS one by one and see what happens.

Good thinking, yes they install fine when not in the TS

Also the logs wont be of much use, grab the logs from the ccm\logs directory (speficically the Appdiscovery and APP enforce if these timeouts are due to slow Application installation rather than packages)

Here is a link to my Google docs with the logs you asked for...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByERVVfGVv1Kfk14dFZQZXNPR3plMEtic3pYQ3RmcUNZc21RSmtpMkR0X0VlRTQxNTc3THc&usp=sharing

I can see the following take a bit of time to install, 10 - 15 mins for each

MovieMaker

Smart_NB_15.exe

The rest look ok to be honest, I can see the apps starting to install at 12:19 ish at 13:22. But there seems to be constant work going on during this time and nothing that jumps out as causing an issue.

Are the packages themselves big? IE the source files?

One thing you could do to speed the process up is to bundle them into your OS.wim, not always ideal but apps that don't need updating/patching and that are "core" apps can be handled like this. Just an option to reduce your build time. Also good practise to bundle the up to date MS patches in the wim also as these can take a looooong time to install.