Oilers93

Unable to capture image - help!!

Hello all,

I'm starting my year end tasks of building our master image that will be deployed over the summer to 3500+ machines but seem to be running into some issues doing so.

Here's what I've done so far:

- I've deployed the image that I used last year to a VM as I just need to add/subtract a few pieces of software, install new updates etc.

- I created a Task sequence to capture the reference machine ( Based off a Build and Capture TS but I've removed all of the Build steps except for the "join workgroup" step)

My TS steps are as follows: (in the attached picture "CaptureTS")

1. Join workgroup

2. Prepare Configuration Manager Client

3. Prepare OS

4. Capture the Reference Machine

I deployed this respective TS to my Collection, added the reference machine to this collection. On the reference machine I see the Deployment in the Software Center. When I go to run the selected Task Sequence it pretty well fails right after it starts with error code "0x80004005".

Any initial ideas?

Thanks!

post-25672-0-29060300-1435090184_thumb.jpg

Hi,

It is not recommended that you capture a machine that has been a member of the domain as it will leave a lot of crap in the registry and filesystem. I have never tried the steps above but I strongly recommend that you rebuild your image from scratch instead. Reusing a previous Syspreped image is not recommended either as it will also leave stuff behind.

Regards,
Jörgen

Thanks for your reply Jorgen.

Fair enough, I'll start from scratch - shouldn't take long anyways.

Do you have a best practices process when it comes to capturing an image? I assume you would use a Build and Capture TS but that won't work for me at this time as we have applications that we haven't tested using App and package deployment. In the future this is how I'd like to handle it but I'm just not there yet.

I have a base image of windows 7 that I captured using a B&C TS. Can I push that out but not add it to the domain, build my golden image then capture? Or is that essentially doing the same thing as I'm doing now?

Thanks for your help with this.

why wouldn't a build and capture ts work for you, try it and see,

most people recommend building your image in MDT and then capturing it there, deploying it in ConfigMgr, there are many videos about same on virtualacademy, however the native functionality of Configmgr can be used too, give it a try and see where it takes you