SiegmundB

Wake on lan

Question

Let's say I create an advertisment with a mandatory assignment and wake on lan to all approved clients.

what will happen when the advertisement is ran from the second time on ?

meaning, the first batch of computers has ran a succesfull advertisment with/without wake on lan.

will those computers the next time the advertisement runs recieve the wake on lan again (even though they have already ran the program?)

we want to avoid this from happening...

In the altiris days, we solved this by adding a NOT collection which has all computers who have already a successful run.

I might test this with a smaller collection, but maybe there is someone who knows the answer here?

2 answers to this question

why would you run the advertisement again ?

assuming you want to deploy an OS to some computers then start using Deployment collections that have task sequences permanently advertised to them

something like this, then when you need computers imaged you add them to the relevant deploy collection and sccm takes care of the rest, no need to worry about them getting the advertisement twice as the advertisement program rerun behaviour is set to never rerun

deploy.jpg

why would you run the advertisement again ?

assuming you want to deploy an OS to some computers then start using Deployment collections that have task sequences permanently advertised to them

something like this, then when you need computers imaged you add them to the relevant deploy collection and sccm takes care of the rest, no need to worry about them getting the advertisement twice as the advertisement program rerun behaviour is set to never rerun

let me rephrase a bit...

the advertisement will not be re-run and I'm talking about a software distribution.

but the mandatory assignment is set to a daily schedule, so on day 1 a number of computers will have recieved it, then the next day other clients will recieve it.

we do not want to see that each day ALL computes will do the wake on lan, even those that have already ran the program from the advertisement