morrell

how to configure Language on a WIM

Question

Hi

I've created a windows 8.1 wim file ready for deployment through SCCM.

I need to now strip out the EN-US language setting and configure it to EN-UK which is the best way to do this? I've tried to use DISM but with no luck, guides on the internet seem a bit thin on the ground.

thanks for any help

john

4 answers to this question

Morrell,

Can you be more specific on what you are trying to do? Are you looking to add a language pack (lp.cab) to the en-us .wim or are you trying to add an additional display language or are you trying to modify the locale information. The later can be done with registry settings, a locale.xml and/or an unattend.xml file. The former can be done with a couple of dism commands like:

c:\windows\system32\dism.exe /image:c:\tempfolder /Add-Package /PackagePath:lp.cab /noRestart

dism.exe /image:c:\tempfolder /set-UILang:en-UK /set-SysLocale:en-UK /set-UserLocale:en-UK /set-LayeredDriver:1 /set-AllIntl:en-UK

Validate with: c:\windows\system32\dism.exe /image:c:\tempfolder /Get-Intl

Ref:

https://sccmentor.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/add-language-packs-to-an-offline-wim-file/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824893.aspx

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to do ^

I found it myself with a little bit of tinkering, I'd already created my Wim's for deployment via SCCM. But Language was incorrect.

So mounted the wim using DISM then extracted the Default Reg Hive and edited that directly, then saved the Wim and reuploaded it.

but what you have done will work perfectly for a brand new o/s DVD

Thanks for your assistance still learning on the DISM front. Getting there slowly.

Hi

So it looks like I've not managed exactly what I wanted to do.

I'm looking to get a wim that only has en-UK installed on it.

I followed what you put down on your post to the letter but when I try to change the set lang I get error 87 could not set UI Language - could not ser user local - could not set system locale.

any thoughts?

I think I misled you a bit. I don't think en-UK is inherently a language pack (lp.cab) unto itself. It is part of the English language pack so the dism isn't needed. If you needed to add a true lp.cab (think Japanese ja-JP or Chinese zh-CN/zh-TW for example, the dism command would be the way to go). I think what you want to do is localize your build so that it comes out as default en-uk, thus the date/time values are presented correctly, pounds instead of dollars are represented and the keyboard is localized as well.

To do this you will want to set the system locale, user locale and the display locale to en-UK (perhaps the keyboard as well).

Here is an example of the xml file you would create and place on the system you are building up:

<gs:GlobalizationServices xmlns:gs="urn:longhornGlobalizationUnattend">
<!--User List-->
<gs:UserList>
<gs:User UserID="Current" CopySettingsToDefaultUserAcct="true" CopySettingsToSystemAcct="true"/>
</gs:UserList>

<!--location-->
<!--United Kingdom = 242-->
<gs:LocationPreferences>
<gs:GeoID Value="242"/>
</gs:LocationPreferences>

<!--System Locale-->
<gs:SystemLocale Name="en-UK"/>

<!--User Locale-->
<gs:UserLocale>
<gs:Locale Name="en-UK" ResetAllSettings="true" SetAsCurrent="true"/>
</gs:UserLocale>

<!--Display Language-->

<gs:MUILanguagePreferences>
<gs:MUILanguage Value="en-UK"/>
<gs:MUIFallback Value="en-US"/>
</gs:MUILanguagePreferences>

</gs:GlobalizationServices>

Then run a command line in the SCCM task sequence and call the .xml file:

control.exe intl.cpl,, /f:"C:\Temp_Location_For_Files\Locale_UK.xml"

It is really the control.exe intl.cpl that is doing the work. Note that this has to be run after the OS is installed for the .cpl to function.