kabatt

PXE Crashes when configuring network settings

Question

I have some new HP Pro One 600 All In One units I am trying to pxe boot to run a task sequence on. Everything is normal until it starts to configure network settings, once that pop-up goes away it reboots. When I hit f8 and run an ipconfig it does not have an IP or anything. I am pretty sure I have the right drivers for the nic but could be wrong. When checking the smsts.log I get the following four errors, in order:

Failed to download pxe variable file. Code(0x00000001)

PxeGetPxeData failed with 0x80004005

RegOpenKeyExW failed for Software\Microsoft\SMS\Task Sequence

GetTsRegValue() failed. 0x80070002.

Hopefully it is just a checkbox somewhere but have been scratching my head with this for sometime. I am currentling imaging other machines right now with the same task sequence.

Thanks for the help.

9 answers to this question

Hi, hope any of these might help. Have had a similar problem recently (yesterday), the fix was either finally getting the right driver (an Intel Pro/1000) or the BIOS clock was wrong. This PC was an old OptiPlex 755, so you shouldn't be having time problems with new kit. I think I was using the NT5.x driver to start with, switched to the NT6.x one. And sorry to ask a stupid question, are the drivers definitely in the boot image?

Not exactly a fix, but have you tried a USB NIC?

Thanks for the reply. The time is correct so I believe it is a driver issue as well. I am almost positive I have the drivers in the boot image. I have also tried loading the drives to grab an ip in the f8 command prompt . Maybe I just need to keep searching for other drivers.

I would try a USB NIC but do not have one around here to try.

Thanks

Hm, ok. I didn't honestly think you'd have missed the time discrepancy but thought it was worth mentioning! Bit puzzled now; intel have version 20.1 of those cards drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/60019/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-LM, do the updates on the distribution points work cleanly? When I was using the wrong driver, the "Update distribution points" bit would fail and the drivers wouldn't get added to the boot image (i.e. a graceful fail).

Like I say, my problem could have been a driver issue too until I located the correct XXx bit driver. One of the things I did was trawl through the .inf files to make sure my model of NIC was listed (82566DM-2, installs as just a Pro/1000). Hope you get somewhere with this, it drove me nuts. Plus, it was only the one PC. And it wouldn't reboot because of the BIOS issue, so I ended up with it sat on my desk so I could hit F1 each time. Not sure the effort was worth it as we only have a handful of OptiPlex 755s and don't know we'll re-use them...

Entirely incidentally and off track (as I don't know that they definitely PXE boot), if you're looking around for a USB Ethernet adapter then you could do worse than this: http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/network-adapters/0003659476-00000001. We've just got a bunch of Surface Pro 3s, and while they're fantastic they have no LAN and 1 USB. This adapter is brilliant- LAN, 3 x USB and has a power supply so I guess you can use powered USB devices with it. Perfect addition to the Surface. Anyway, that's beside the point...

I would like to get it working without purchasing the adapter, although it does look nice. I have roughly 80 units to image. I have further learned that the current driver is e1d62x64.sys. I have found the driver in the package went into the f8 command prompt and typed drvload e1d62x64.inf. It says the driver succesfully loaded but the nic still does not work when I do an ipconfig. With this information are there any other thoughts?

Thanks

Hi, I found this link - https://communities.intel.com/thread/43218?start=0&tstart=0 - which suggests a lot of people have had trouble with this NIC. Somebody mentions getting things working with a very specific version- 18.5- of the e1d63x64.inf driver, rather than e1d62x64.inf. Unfortunately I don't have access to this NIC so can't test it but it might be worth a go- at least 2 people seem to have got PXE working with this inf file.

• Like 1

That article solved the issue!! Thanks so much for finding it! I was able to pull an IP on the desktop. Came back to the server to inject the driver and of course there was another error. Found a hot fix on Microsofts site, applied it, rebooted, injected the driver, updated the distrobution point and bingo!

Thanks