xc3ss1v3

ADR for Windows Updates

Hey everyone... Have a little bit of an issue. Well, not really an issue because everything works alright, but I'm guessing something is just configured slightly off. Like practically everyone, I have ADR's built to download and deploy the monthly updates from Microsoft. Currently, I have the ADR's set up to run on the second Tuesday of every month at 11pm. However, without fail the ADR will grab some or no updates. When I come in the next morning, I simply re-run the ADR and it pulls in and deploys the released updates.

My first thought is that I have the time set to run before Microsoft releases the updates. But, in looking at the time released, they are at 12pm. I'm assuming that is 12 in the afternoon which would, obviously, be before 11pm.

What am I missing?

How often are you running your WSUS sync? If it is only daily then that could be your problem?

BTW, I generally fine that more orgs only use ARD for SCEP update nothing more. Everything else is handle my admin.

Must admit, I've always done ADR for patch Tuesday running on a wed normally 2/3am. Whether that's right or wrong i'm not sure, but it seems to bring back the updates

I thought about doing that, but how do you set the date? Because the second Wednesday isn't always after the second Tuesday. I'm sure there's a simple answer to that I'm not thinking of...

How often are you running your WSUS sync? If it is only daily then that could be your problem?

BTW, I generally fine that more orgs only use ARD for SCEP update nothing more. Everything else is handle my admin.

I believe it's have to sync every hour, but I wasn't the one to set that part up, so I'll have to double check. And yeah I could definitely see that. Allows for time to remove trouble updates and such before deploying to the organization.