Johnster

Cant get HTA to disply

Hi,

I ve followed the guides and discussion from this thread, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/1243cb1b-e8da-448e-b833-5dc3a69dc435/can-i-display-a-hta-during-existing-os-rebuild-task-sequence-sccmosd?forum=configmgrosd, and even though I can get the hta to run perfectly from the command line, I cant get it to display in a task sequence. I can see mshta running in the task manager, but it will not show up on the screen. I have tried running it as a command line from a local folder like this:

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\windows\system32\mshta c:\Tools\PromptforPassword.hta

As well as running it as a script from the toolkit package like this:

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mshta.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\PromptForPassword.hta"

But the command just times out.

The log files whow the command line is properly parsed but still no joy.

Am I missing something? The original thread indicates that the poster was succesful, however a few pwople afterwards indicated having the same problem, but no resolution was posted.

Any help is appreciated.

John

Just a couple thoughts on this...but quick question first...what exactly are you trying to accomplish? I mean, there's no need to re-invent the wheel, if someone already has a fully functioning wheel :)

My initial inclination is to suggest looking at the HTA and webservice frontend subforum to see what options already exist that might do what you are trying to do. If you want a UDI for a workstation refresh, then having that launch before your TS runs would be ideal.

As far as the technicalities of what you might be trying to do...be careful about deploying an OSD TS (even when marked as Available instead of Required) to all your workstations...in general that's just a bad idea, IMO. There are a number of horror stories out there of OSD-gone-wrong because of situations like this, and giving an end-user the freedom to re-image their station whenever they feel like it might cause more problems then it solves.

Hi H4x0r,

I'm trying to password protect a task sequnce so we can advertise it to a large group of computers. The password protection is to prevent exactly the situation you have alluded to, however, if an end user got hold of the password and managed to image thier workstation through this, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The thread I referred to seems to suggest that shis should work, and I'm using the exact script that was created for this purpose, but I'm suspecting that there is some sort of TS property that is preventing it from working, any thoughts?

Thanks

John

your hta is not showing as it's running as system and therefore hidden from the user (you)

try running it with serviceUI.exe from the mdt 2013 toolkit and it will work just fine (in Windows)

to find out how to use serviceUI.exe see this post

your hta is not showing as it's running as system and therefore hidden from the user (you)

try running it with serviceUI.exe from the mdt 2013 toolkit and it will work just fine (in Windows)

to find out how to use serviceUI.exe see this post

Thats exactly what ended up working for me. Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers!