jrgonzalez_nyc

OSD Windows 7x64 and UEFI partitioning

Hello just to follow up on this thread I wanted to post what I have tried:

I created a Windows 7 x64 SP1 CD as well as a Windows 8.1 x64 CD.

I set the BIOS to UEFI and tried installing Windows 7 directly from the disk and it freezes.

I set the BIOS to UEFI and tried installing Windows 8.1 from disk and it succeeds.

It looks like this might definitely be an issue with Dells BIOS not working nicely with Win 7 and UEFI.

Has anyone been able to image a Dell machine with Win7 and UEFI? If so, how did you guys do it?

Could this be about Windows 7 + the vendor's implementation of UEFI on specific models? Sorry - I don't have any Dells here to test with, we're a Lenovo shop.

Even though my main concern is about imaging this Lenovo Helix 2 (which doesn't have a CSM/Legacy option) for troubleshooting purposes I decided to use a machine that I have been able to successfully deploy to in the past. I wanted to separate any potential issues with UEFI in my shop from issues that might be specific to the Helix 2.

My test subject is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny (10AY-001YUS) that originally shipped with Windows 7 x64. It supports both the legacy BIOS and UEFI (with a CSM option).

• UEFI: On / CSM: On = Windows 7 SP x64 OSD succeeeds
  • UEFI: On / CSM: Off = Error

If I use the *same* Task Sequence that fails above and change the "Apply Operating System" step to reference a Windows 8.1 x64 WIM instead of the Windows 7 SP1 x64 WIM, it deploys successfully!

...too bad my users hate Windows 8.1

my advice with UEFI is use UEFI designed os's for UEFI deployments and that would be Windows 8 and onwards, I've done Windows 7 deployments in UEFI mode and they are patchy at best,

for example on lenovo's they work as long as CSM mode is enabled but Secure boot must be disabled as it's not Windows 7 aware,

rather than struggle with Windows 7 and UEFI, why not just go for Windows 10 in UEFI mode ?

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted our Dell rep regarding this as well and he also suggested using Windows 8 and onward with UEFI.

The good news is with all the research and time we have already spent testing, our manager decided to hold off on UEFI until we get Windows 10!

Thanks for all the step by step guides you provide Niall. They really are helpful.

• Like 1

As a follow up, I was able to deploy my existing task sequence pointed at the Windows 8.1 .WIM file to my "problem" Lenovo Helix 2 and it finished successfully. Since I don't have an option to disable UEFI on my Helix 2 I guess I'll be deploying Windows 8.1 on them for now.

Once Windows 10 is available on the volume license site I plan on using that instead. Originally I planned on ignoring UEFI/Secure Boot until Windows 10 came out but now that I have this Helix 2 I am no longer afforded that luxury.

Thanks for posting Joe and of course thanks Niall for being awesome (as always).

If you're thinking about deploying Windows 7 x64 onto UEFI enabled hardware with no Legacy/CSM option - think twice!

• Like 1

As a follow up, I was able to deploy my existing task sequence pointed at the Windows 8.1 .WIM file to my "problem" Lenovo Helix 2 and it finished successfully. Since I don't have an option to disable UEFI on my Helix 2 I guess I'll be deploying Windows 8.1 on them for now.

Once Windows 10 is available on the volume license site I plan on using that instead. Originally I planned on ignoring UEFI/Secure Boot until Windows 10 came out but now that I have this Helix 2 I am no longer afforded that luxury.

Thanks for posting Joe and of course thanks Niall for being awesome (as always).

If you're thinking about deploying Windows 7 x64 onto UEFI enabled hardware with no Legacy/CSM option - think twice!

Hi Admin,

is there any way while installing OS through normal task sequence it can ask for computer name.

regards;

Sant