jrgonzalez_nyc

OSD Windows 7x64 and UEFI partitioning

Hello,

Our School District is wanting to move to UEFI/Windows 7 environment.

We are having problems laying down a Windows 7 x64 image using UEFI pxe boot. I think it has to do with the way we are partitioning the disk but I am not sure what I need to change. I have attached a copy of our smsts.log file and screenshots of our task sequence. We are not using MDT task sequence. We are using a SCCM task sequence. Please any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

smsts.logpost-29385-0-69240300-1436820067_thumb.png

are you starting this in Windows ? and is the system in UEFI mode or LEGACY mode prior to running the task sequence ?

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the reply.

In the BIOS settings, we are having the technicians turn off LEGACY and enabling only UEFI. These machines are unknown to CM as they are just being unboxed.

After they make the changes in the BIOS, the machines uefi pxe boot using an x64 boot image. They then select our UEFI Task Sequence and it goes through the whole TS and upon restart it gets the efi\bcd error.

well the disks are in legacy non-gpt mode so i think that's causing issues, are you starting the task sequence in windows or via PXE ?

yup, and if you look at your log it looks ok

<![LOG[successfully completed the action (Partition Disk 0 - UEFI) with the exit win32 code 0]LOG]!><time="12:55:10.084+420" date="07-13-2015" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="560" file="instruction.cxx:830">

so... what happens after this ? are you sure it's failing at this point, can you press f8 when it's failing and verify that you are capturing the log from x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log

After the machine restarts to continue the task sequence, it gets the black screen error efi\bcd.

Yes, I actually opened up a cmd prompt using F8 and then used CMTRACE to open up the smsts.log. I copied the log from the path you referred to and copied onto a usb drive.

I do notice in the log file the following error after OSDdiskpart.exe:

<![LOG[==============================[ OSDDiskPart.exe ]==============================]LOG]!><time="12:54:54.999+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="1" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:1078">
<![LOG[Command line: "osddiskpart.exe"]LOG]!><time="12:54:54.999+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="1" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:1079">
<![LOG[succeeded loading resource DLL 'X:\sms\bin\x64\1033\TSRES.DLL']LOG]!><time="12:54:54.999+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="1" thread="1064" file="util.cpp:964">
<![LOG[Reading partition size info for partition 0]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:461">
<![LOG[Reading partition size info for partition 2]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:461">
<![LOG[Remaining size before partition: 499266388480]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:465">
<![LOGLOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:483">
<![LOG[set partition size: 134217728]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:541">
<![LOG[Remaining size after partition 2: 499132170752]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:618">
<![LOG[Failed to read filesystem from OSDPartitions2FileSystem, not formatting]LOG]!><time="12:54:55.193+420" date="07-13-2015" component="OSDDiskPart" context="" type="0" thread="1064" file="main.cpp:421">
Notice the Failed to read filesystem error. I assume this is the problem?
Thank you so much for your help!

Just wanted to follow up with a little more info/details about this issue.

I UEFI pxe booted again and before I ran the task sequence, I did the following:

Hit F8, Entered Diskpart and cleaned the selected disk of any partitions.

Also, after I let the TS restart and got the BCD failure message again, I went into the BIOS and enabled LEGACY Options. After I did this, I restarted the laptop and it continues with the task sequence! Seems very odd to me. Any ideas??

Best Regards,

Joe

Joe-

I suspect I'm having the exact same issue. I've been successfully deploying Windows 7 x64 via a SCCM (2012R2 SP1) task sequence to systems running a BIOS OR with UEFI in Legacy/CSM mode. Since it's been working so well for me I've avoided complicating things with MDT, UEFI, or Secure Boot....my problem is that I just got in a new Lenovo Helix 2 (20CG-000SUS) that does NOT have a Legacy/CSM option in the UEFI!

For troubleshooting purposes I found a recent desktop system that is UEFI but has the CSM option. I can image with CSM off and get the same error as you do. I can go into the UEFI and turn CSM on, and the system boots fine. Post setup I can confirm the disk layout is correct and it's using GPT.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my Helix 2 then...

Hi Tim,

I also read the following regarding other Dell Models: "We use MDT 2013, and UEFI on our systems. We have found, if Legacy Option Rom is disabled imaging always comes back as unable to read the partition after pushing the captured image. "0xc000000d An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data." Similarly, if you try to disable it after the machine is good, it will not be able to read the partition in the same way.

This is only for the Windows 7 image. Never knew why, but as a result of this behavior disabling Legacy Option Rom isn't an option.

Everything works peachy without legacy option rom on Windows 8.1 however (both during and after imaging)." Found on this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19622501

However, I don't know if this a specific model issue because we have seen the same error on our Optiplex 7010's, 3020's, and 9020's as well as our Latitude E3340 model.

I am going to test by setting the BIOS to UEFI and then imaging from windows 7 x64 disc just to determine whether its a hardware issue or our SCCM task sequence. I'll post what I find here.