wing5wong

Deploy application if some other application is installed - possible? how?

Hi there,

Earlier we made Visual Studio ultimate 2013 available for installation. Some clients have manually installed it, now we need to apply the patches to it (Update 4)

Is it possible to set the Update 4 Application to be required, but only IF Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 is installed?

I havent been able to find this setup (i have found setting VS2013 Ultimate as a dependency for the Update 4 though)

you can go with dependency model here. have VS20013 as dependency to Update 4 with required type.So when Update 4 runs,it will check if VS2013 installed or not,if not,it will install first then update 4.If VS2013 installed then it will skip based on the detection method and install only Update 4.

I'd have thought the best way to do is to create a new collection, and use a query on that collection for only finding machines with it installed

Hi there,

do you have an example of how i could use this query?

i would need to find a file C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio Ultimate 2013\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

The query below uses a sub selected query to find all the machines with something installed, and then finds machines not in that query. I also limited it just to workstations.

select SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.IPAddresses, SMS_R_System.LastLogonUserName, SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.Version from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.Name not in (select distinct SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.Name
from SMS_R_System
inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId
inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId
where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName like "%Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013%") and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ProductType = 1

There is a TechNet article on another way of doing it using collections for having it installed, and then excluding those collections

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jchalfant/archive/2014/05/09/collection-of-computers-missing-an-application-software-title-in-configuration-manager.aspx