Spinner

Powershell Script to Copy 1 Computer Collection Membership 7 Apply to Another

Hi All,

I've been googling and can find the opposite of what i'm looking for so was wondering if i could get some help.

Basically what i'm after is a Powershell script that will get the collections that 1 pc is a member off and then add another pc to those same collections (preferably via a prompt)

We have some PC's at the moment that will be out of lease and replaced and they have computer deployed applications so i was hoping to mirror the same collection membership for the new PC they get to make it easier. Also we get requests that 1 user needs the same apps as another where this would also come in handy.

Hopefully a powershell guru would be able to assist me :)

Thanks,

Spinner

Well, to be quite honest, it can't be that difficult.... You can get cmdlets for membership rules to get the information and use the add cmdlets to add the membership rules. Those cmdlets are all described here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj821831%28v=sc.20%29.aspx

That should do the trick

param(
    [parameter(Mandatory = $true)]
    [string]$SiteServer,
    [string]$SiteCode,
    [string]$ReferenceMachine,
    [string]$ReplacementMachine
)

Import-Module -Name "$(split-path $Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH)\ConfigurationManager.psd1"

$location = $SiteCode + ":"

Set-Location -Path $location

if(Get-CMDevice -Name $ReferenceMachine){
        $ReplacementID = (Get-CMDevice -Name $ReplacementMachine).ResourceID
        $ResID = (Get-CMDevice -Name $ReferenceMachine).ResourceID
        Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $SiteServer -Class sms_fullcollectionmembership -Namespace root\sms\site_$SiteCode -Filter "ResourceID = '$($ResID)'"  | % {
            if(Get-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionID $_.CollectionID -ResourceName $ReferenceMachine){
                Write-Host "adding" $ReplacementMachine "to collection" $_.CollectionID
                Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionId $_.CollectionID -ResourceId $ReplacementID
            }
        }
    }
    else {
        Write-Host "Error. Unknown replacement machine :" $ReplacementMachine
    }
}
else {
    Write-Host "Error. Unknown reference machine :" $ReferenceMachine
}

Thanks Pete i'll give it a go, so far i only had this:

$Server = "SERVER"
$site = "HQ2"

Function Get-Collections 
{
    <# 
            .SYNOPSIS 
                Determine the SCCM collection membership    
            .DESCRIPTION
                This function allows you to determine the SCCM collection membership of a given user/computer
            .PARAMETER  Type 
                Specify the type of member you are querying. Possible values : 'User' or 'Computer'
            .PARAMETER  ResourceName 
                Specify the name of your member : username or computername
            .EXAMPLE 
                Get-Collections -Type computer -ResourceName PC001
                Get-Collections -Type user -ResourceName User01
            .Notes 
                Author : Antoine DELRUE 
    #> 

param(
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$true,Position=1)]
    [ValidateSet("User", "Computer")]
    [string]$type,

[Parameter(Mandatory=$true,Position=2)]
    [string]$resourceName
    ) #end param

Switch ($type)
        {
            User {
                Try {
                    $ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'
                    $resource = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $server -Namespace "root\sms\site_$site" -Class "SMS_R_User" | ? {$_.Name -ilike "*$resourceName*"}                            
                }
                catch {
                    Write-Warning ('Failed to access "{0}" : {1}' -f $server, $_.Exception.Message)
                }

}

Computer {
                Try {
                    $ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'
                    $resource = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $server -Namespace "root\sms\site_$site" -Class "SMS_R_System" | ? {$_.Name -ilike "$resourceName"}                           
                }
                catch {
                    Write-Warning ('Failed to access "{0}" : {1}' -f $server, $_.Exception.Message)
                }
            }
        }

$ids = (Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $server -Namespace "root\sms\site_$site" -Class SMS_CollectionMember_a -filter "ResourceID=`"$($Resource.ResourceId)`"").collectionID
    # A little trick to make the function work with SCCM 2012
    if ($ids -eq $null)
    {
            $ids = (Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $server -Namespace "root\sms\site_$site" -Class SMS_FullCollectionMembership -filter "ResourceID=`"$($Resource.ResourceId)`"").collectionID
    }

$array = @()

foreach ($id in $ids)
    {
        $Collection = get-WMIObject -ComputerName $server -namespace "root\sms\site_$site" -class sms_collection -Filter "collectionid=`"$($id)`""
        $Object = New-Object PSObject
        $Object | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Collection Name" -Value $Collection.Name
        $Object | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Collection ID" -Value $id
        $Object | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Comment" -Value $Collection.Comment
        $array += $Object
    }

$array
}
Get-Collections -Type computer -ResourceName PC007

I added a confirmation prompt for the memberships.

param(
    [string]$SiteServer,
    [string]$SiteCode,
    [string]$ReferenceMachine,
    [string]$ReplacementMachine
)

Import-Module -Name "$(split-path $Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH)\ConfigurationManager.psd1"

$location = $SiteCode + ":"

Set-Location -Path $location

$ReplacementID = (Get-CMDevice -Name $ReplacementMachine).ResourceID
        $ResID = (Get-CMDevice -Name $ReferenceMachine).ResourceID
        Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $SiteServer -Class sms_fullcollectionmembership -Namespace root\sms\site_$SiteCode -Filter "ResourceID = '$($ResID)'" | % {
            if(Get-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionID $_.CollectionID -ResourceName $ReferenceMachine){
                $colname = (Get-CMDeviceCollection -CollectionId $_.CollectionID).Name
                if(!(Get-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionID $_.CollectionID -ResourceName $ReplacementMachine)){
                    $confirm = Read-Host "Do you want to add $ReplacementMachine to the collection" $_.CollectionID "'$colname' ? (y/n) "
                    if($confirm -eq "y"){
                        Write-Host "adding $ReplacementMachine to collection" $_.CollectionID "'$colname'"
                        Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionId $_.CollectionID -ResourceId $ReplacementID
                    }
                    else {
                        Write-Host "skipping collection $colname"
                    }
                }
                else {
                    Write-Host "$ReplacementMachine is already a member of" $_.CollectionID "'$colname'"
                }
            }
        }
    }
    else {
        Write-Host "Error. Unknown replacement machine : $ReplacementMachine"
    }
}
else {
    Write-Host "Error. Unknown reference machine : $ReferenceMachine"
}

I know this is old but there are surprisingly few resources related to this task, which I would have thought would be very valuable in a replacement scenario.

However, this script is kind of difficult to utilize for large numbers of computers.

Instead, I think something that would copy collections from ALL source computers in the computer association list to all destination computers in the list would be a lot better for mass replacement scenarios.

I don't suppose anyone has a starting point or any work related to a script that would copy collections from all source to all destination computers in the association list in SCCM?

Thanks