boyjaew2

Overwrite .exe in %ProgramFile(x86)%

Question

The problem: I need to copy a new .exe file down to the client. Easy enough, but then I need to run SOMETHING to copy that .exe and overwrite an existing .exe of the same name that resides the ProgramFiles(x86) folder. I can do everything except the overwrite because it has to be done AS Administrator (such that you get by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator").

I have tried everything I can think of with a .cmd, .bat script (using xcopy and copy) which works fine once everything lands and you right click run as administrator. Anything else even robocopy gets "Access Denied". Is there no way around this? I have also tried a task sequence which also runs into permission problems using the same local admin account which is also a domain account.

I really don't want to have to run all of these manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

I thought about it, but this change has to be made to about 160 machines and their psyches are fragile enough having recently completed enteprise wide removal from "everyone's an admin". I think the confusion would kill them, temporary or not. I think I'm going with a GPO scheduled task.