Dietmar

How to automatically select task sequence?

Question

Hi!

How do you solve the following:

I created a reference image with windows 7 and a task sequence to deploy called "Windows 7 target deployment".

I did the same with Windows XP with SP3 with the task sequence called "Windows XP target deployment".

We want to deploy Win 7 only to our newer machines. All the others should be installed with Win XP.

I advertised the TS so it's possible to choose one TS Win7 either Win XP. However, I want to do this automatically for the end users.

How do you solve this? Do you create only one TS with many options? Or is it possible to manage with media hook-files? But how to choose

a specific TS for specific Model? In MDT 2008 I did this in the bootstrap.ini. How to solve with SCCM?

Thanks! Didi

9 answers to this question

its easy

i use collections and drop computers into collections based on what I want to do with them

so if I want to deploy Windows 7 to a new computer I drop the computer into a collection called Deploy windows 7

if I want to deploy XP I can do the same for the XP computers,

I have my task sequences advertised to the respective collections and they are mandatory unless of course I want a list of task sequences

does that make sense ?

Yes that make sense! Of course! Sometimes it's so easy. I feel ashamed. Because of the way with bootstrap.ini I was so fixated on the pre-execution hook files that I didn't see this simple solution. Thank you very much. :)

its not that hard to do when you think about it,

all unknown computers (unknown to sccm) can be deployed via a task sequence advertised to the unknown computers collection... (windows 7 for example)

whereas all known computers can be added to deploy XP....

does that make sense, or not ?

Not all unknown computers will be Windows 7 ready computers because our hardware team repairs broken machines and give them back into the hardware pool. So it's possible that an older PC will be installed. We use active directory group membership of machines for membership of SCCM collections to deploy the software to the users PC. Because of this our support members delete the active directory computer object if it's broken and have to be changed. I think this machine is now an unknown machine to SCCM. Isn't it?

a machine that is unknown to sccm is one that isnt in sccm's database

the machines mac address, guid or computername can be present in the sccm database, and you need at least two of those components to (for example) import a computer into sccms database and make it known

if it is marked as obsolete then it is still known.

Obsolete

Indicates whether this client record is obsolete.

A record that is marked obsolete typically was superseded by a newer record for the same client. The newer record becomes the client's current record, and the older record becomes obsolete.