spgsitsupport

Deploying from a Network Share (Application)?

http://mickitblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sccm-deploying-from-network-share.html

The above states that one could do it with Application.

Yet I never managed to behave this way. (I could only do that with Packages, but the way they advertise on client machine is not intuitive, F5 does nothing)

I have tried Microsoft forums, but (sadly) they are full of people that behave... well... Microsoft way...

"It is the designed way, nothing can be done about it...."

Yet, I do NOT want to use DP for Applications install, as I already have the source maintained by myself on a separate server network share (so no need to duplicate content in DP)

So the question is: is it possible to create Application with no content, that does run something executable (.cmd, .exe etc) directly from UNC WITHOUT first being copied to DP

Thanks

Seb

I'm sorry to say, doing what you are asking, is like shooting yourself in the foot. But it is your foot to shoot off. Sooo.

That blog it is wrong and missing steps, this will not work as describe, you will need to open the network share to computes accounts. So go fix the permission to the share & files and things should work.

Ofcourse I have share (and NTFS permissions) setup correctly for COMPUTER accounts (client ones)

Still Application assigned to collection (users or computers) does not work (it always errors out)

Why "...like shooting yourself in the foot..."

In my environment, with NO WAN etc I see DP as totally pointless

Seb

With what error? if it is a timeout error then it has nothing to do with CM12. If it is a access denied error then you don't have the permission right.

There is honestly no trick to this, You can even simulate the way CM12 will execute anything by following this blog post. http://verbalprocessor.com/2007/12/05/running-a-cmd-prompt-as-local-system/

It is totally your call, to make your life difficult.

BTW, I would total disagree with DPs are pointless in a "NO WAN" environment.

Good that everybody is entitled to they own opinions. Believe me, in a flat ten gig backbone network, I see no benefit to DP (and its own internal doings)

I need to run applications from UNC (they either are already installed there to be executed OR the source is stored there for install like admin install of Office etc)

DP is another unnecessary step to keep updated & backed up.

I am sure there are places where DP might be usefull, mine not the one currently.

Of course I could use it, but do not need it, and using it for the sake of using it, makes it pointless.

As to the error:

The software change returned error code 0x80070005(-2147024891).

That is definitely not access error (as the rights/permissions are correct)

Why would there be a timeout?

Seb

PS

To me it seems that SCCM is designed with a missing option: access network as user X (predefined like NAA) and run locally as dynamic administrator (and not system)

If you want to talk about why having no DPs is a bad idea, I will gladly have it with you, but I can tell you are not interested.

I (almost) never recommend backing up a DP. They can go up and down like yo-yo that one of the benefits.

I hate you say it but it is indeed and access issue. There is no way around it.

0x80070005 = Access is denied.

You need to break out procmon and find out exactly why it is getting access denied. Use the PSexec trick to manually test your install in a controlled manner, this will allow you to remove CM12 from the equation too.

Sorry I thought you said times out, in your last post. (food comma) :-)

You are welcome to post that suggestion https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas but I doubt it will ever be adopted due to the security risk that will introduce.

The biggest problem is you're totally going into a weird, unsupported methodology. Management, if nothing else, should disagree with you, if only because you're unsupported and bizarre.

If you're walking across the street tomorrow, not in a crosswalk, since that's a normal, supported thing to do, and you get hit by a bus. Why would you walk down to a crosswalk? THERE'S ROADS RIGHT HERE! Bam. No more you.

So your management calls in MCS, to support your infrastructure you've been torn away from, by the sweet, sweet embrace of death. What's the first thing they're going to do? Set up a single DP to handle all of your content.

And you'll be known as "the weird guy who didn't use DPs". They'll tell stories about you at MCS meetings, and PFEs across the nation will reference you as "the weird guy who didn't use DPs". MMS and Ignite participants will speak about you while drinking beer.

You'll be a legend in your death.

I wish you luck.

Thanks, I like being different (but your comment is completly OFF TOPIC really).

Not using DP (for some big installs like Autocad 20xx or Sibelius or some educational subject specific software that DOES ONLY RUN from UNC without ANY install) does not make me less productive (just the opposite in fact!)

I will give you simple example:

Gigs & gigs of iso files on network share that have content that can/should/must change every so often.

They do get mounted from network share & run on a client from VirtualClone Drive "DVD".

So an Application without DP that is available to end users (and can be refreshed by F5 to get new updated version) is just one of them

Another one you might have not encountered if network install of OCR Finereader.

It licences itself to the HD SN of the server on which it is installed.

Then client install must be done from that location, as it is the only way it works (if you copy content first elsewhere & then install the version is not licenced)

One has to recognize that there is never ONE & ONLY way when computers are concerned

Seb

We

At least good to know that Applications can ALSO work without content in DP & only UNC

Well, Applications do not seem to work, no matter what settings I try. I hoped that Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content would do the trick, but it seems that no matter what, I get Error 0x87D00607 like per this

Packages with Programs work perfectly fine directly from UNC only