spgsitsupport

Deploying from a Network Share (Application)?

I have applications which install over the network and it works just fine.

Only a script folder is deployed.

Then the script runs things like:

"\\server\share$\program\setup.exe" /silent for example.

I use a hidden $ share with authenticated users allow read, which includes computers, for both share and folder security.

As long as "Install for system" is selected in the user experience tab of your DT

Perhaps "Whether or not a user is logged in" is also needed, but I'm not sure about that. I always choose that option for any install that doesn't require running in the user context.

It works that way because most environments have multiple sites and multiple DPs which may not all have access back to a single server \ share.

If your boss ever said to provision a new site then you would have shot yourself in the foot because you would have to re-create all of your applications instead of simply rolling out a new DP and distributing content.

The only reason I install over the network is for a couple programs that exceed our client cache size and I'm in a single site environment.

But I use our DP for everything else because we may need to roll out new sites in the future, at which point I will only need to look at those large programs instead of remaking them all.

Why are you not simply just using a task sequence, where you can run a command line with a different account, which has permissions to the share.

That's how i am dealing with a special application that needs to be installed from the share where the backend is installed (not very enterprise friendly). Actually i'm not excited about such solutions, but it works.

The Application model of SCCM is not designed to handle such situations. So i don't see the point in trying or to complain about ;)