BryanP

Rebooting PC even with suppress checked?

I'm hoping someone can point out something obvious I'm missing here. I need to install IE11 without forcing a reboot, so that the user gets 11 the next time they choose to reboot.

I've created SUG for IE11, with the deployment having the settings shown in the image below, but workstations I've deployed it to are still being forced to reboot. When I look in the RebootCoordinator.log file I see this entry right before the reboot:

Scheduled reboot from agent UpdatesDeploymentAgent. Deadline local time: 08/08/2015 11:58:09 AM, PreferredRebootWindowType = 4

FMHvfy1.jpg

Are any other updates getting installed, post install of the IE11 SUG? IE, do you have a standing update group, that's deploying IE11 Cumulative updates (or anything else that might get installed after the IE11 SUG), that might be hitting the boxes and forcing the reboots?

IE11 is an ugly beast of a SUG. My personal suggestion would be to Package it like a Package; utilize Powershell AppDeployment Toolkit and use the Install-MSUpdates command, to chain together all the pre-req updates and then DISM /online the IE11 itself. This gets it out of the awkward-to-manage-at-times SUG, and into a more "recognizable" and fun to play with Package/App.

I'd also recommend not leaving the system in a weird, non-rebooted state; I know users hate logging off, but leaving them in a post-old-version of IE, pre-new-version is just asking for trouble down the road.

When I make a SUG looking just like yours, and deploy it, my RebootCoordinator looks like:

Entered ScheduleRebootImpl - requested from 'UpdatesDeploymentAgent'. set Rebootby = 0. set NotifyUI = True. set PreferredRebootWindowType = 4

Scheduled non mandatory reboot from agent UpdatesDeploymentAgent RebootCoordinator 8/11/2015 10:12:20 AM 6976 (0x1B40)

Yes,I do have a standing update like you describe. But I would think it wouldn't install those updates until after the PC reboots and completes the installation of IE11? I'll dig through the logs some more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done something similar to what you describe with IE10, in my case with a simple .cmd file that applies prerequisite updates before installing IE10, but haven't had much luck getting that to work with IE11. I'll look at your method and see if I can get it to work.

Right now I'm trying to get a package working using what I'm finding here:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/How-to-deploy-Internet-0b98a8fb

As for leaving them half-installed, I agree entirely. Unfortunately, (as I have been reminded, in these exact words), I don't make policy, I perform tasks.

Watch a box right after it installs IE11; if you get a:

Scheduled non mandatory reboot from agent UpdatesDeploymentAgent RebootCoordinator 8/11/2015 10:12:20 AM 6976 (0x1B40)

That means that SUG didn't want a reboot; that at least rules it out.

As for the other updates, when exactly they'd install depends on the logic of the Software Update. Best way to check would just to be to run it on a VM; let your SUG take place, watch the logs, kick off a Software Update Scan, see if more come down with a forced reboot.