relapse808

Help with computername / unattend.xml

Hi,

I have been imaging windows 8.1 with SCCM for a while with no issue. I have been using the install.wim in the iso as my reference image. I never got prompted for OOBE or had issues with computer names when doing it this way. I reimage would result in the machine being the same name as before. My co worker has now made reference images with some software and all updates installed. These were captured using MDT 2013. The first thing that happened was the OOBE popping up after the first reboot which I dont want. I wrote a unattend.xml file and applied to that task which skips OOBE but now the computer name changes to WIN-XXXXXXXX after imaging. This name will change every single time you image the same system causing clutter in AD and SCCM. Does anyone know how i can resolve this so if I reimage a computer the name stays the same?

Thanks,

Lee

it is worth noting I tried this powershell script and no success

http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/10/02/prompt-for-computer-name-during-osd-with-powershell/

I have tried running the script after the partition of hard disk and also after the sccm client is installed and my machines still come out with the WIN-XXXXXXXXX name.

Hehe, we all make mistakes. That script that you're pointing to (that I wrote a while back) should always be used before the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step, since that's when the OSDComputerName variable is written to the unattend.xml that ConfigMgr creates.