mdedeboer

KB3087985 - MS15-093

Question

As you are all well aware, late today Microsoft released KB3087985 as part of MS15-093. I am wondering if anyone else is having issues getting their computers to report that this patch is required. So far I have 65% of my 2000 desktops reporting that it is not required to the SUP. Yet when I download it from catalog.microsoft.com I can install it (although it shows up as a hotfix). I am guessing that this is a detection rule issue in the update although I can't find anyone else having this issue yet...

Thanks!

Matthew

7 answers to this question

For anyone looking for documentation on this, please see:

Are there any prerequisites for update 3087985?
Yes. Customers running Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, or Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, or Windows RT 8.1 must first install the 3078071 update released on August 11, 2015 before installing the 3087985 update.

Note For Download Center customers:

If you download and install updates manually, you must first install update 3078071 before installing update 3087985. Failure to follow the install order can lead to degraded functionality.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-093

• Like 1

looks like ,this patch is typical behaviour and not a straight forward like other patches..Before you install KB3087985 patch ,should have KB3078071 installed as prereq and perform the software update scan again to detect KB3087985 as required.

Here is what i noticed closely:

Created update group (OOB) for these 2 patches since KB3087985 has prereq of other patch KB3078071. Deployed to collection .

Note: Clients only reported that KB3078071 (prereq) is required but not KB3087985 .

Clients started receiving the prereq patch only in software center but not KB3087985. Prereq patch installed and requested reboot. Reboot is done. Login to the PC to check if the KB3087985 is appearing software center or not.cannot see any entries in the logs about KB3087985.

So initiated the software update scan again manually ,waited for long period around 2 hours ,i see from the SCCM server that ,KB3087985 has required by this computer.

huh ,finally the patch arrived to the client that has prereq installed .

My software update scan is scheduled for 1 week not every day or so.so should i initiate software update scan on all machines to let the KB3087985 is available for you to detect ? is this how it supposed to work or something wrong from my observation ?

Since it is critical out of band update,must go as soon as but looking at this patch behaviour,seems like its will not go soon to the clients.

looks like ,this patch is typical behaviour and not a straight forward like other patches..Before you install KB3087985 patch ,should have KB3078071 installed as prereq and perform the software update scan again to detect KB3087985 as required.

Here is what i noticed closely:

Created update group (OOB) for these 2 patches since KB3087985 has prereq of other patch KB3078071. Deployed to collection .

Note: Clients only reported that KB3078071 (prereq) is required but not KB3087985 .

Clients started receiving the prereq patch only in software center but not KB3087985. Prereq patch installed and requested reboot. Reboot is done. Login to the PC to check if the KB3087985 is appearing software center or not.cannot see any entries in the logs about KB3087985.

So initiated the software update scan again manually ,waited for long period around 2 hours ,i see from the SCCM server that ,KB3087985 has required by this computer.

huh ,finally the patch arrived to the client that has prereq installed .

My software update scan is scheduled for 1 week not every day or so.so should i initiate software update scan on all machines to let the KB3087985 is available for you to detect ? is this how it supposed to work or something wrong from my observation ?

Since it is critical out of band update,must go as soon as but looking at this patch behaviour,seems like its will not go soon to the clients.

Having the same issue here. Our machines all require the pre req patch MS15-079 to be installed so we can install MS15-093. I create a deployment including MS15-079 and MS15-093. The machines receive MS15-079 which prompts a reboot after installing and then after the reboot MS15-093 is not installed because CM sees it as not required due to the software update scan not being run yet which can take up to a week. So is this normal we have to wait up to a week for the software update scan to run before both patches will be installed? Not very effective or efficient for patches that need to get out ASAP such at MS15-093.