anyweb

How can I upgrade to System Center 2012 R2 SP1 with MDT 2013 Update 1 integrated?

Hi,

Thanks for your great articles!

I have never worked on MDT before, so my question might be silly.

Here it is;

First I upgraded from 2012 R2 SP1 to 2012 R2 SP1 CU1

Uninstalled WAIK 8.1

Installed WADK10 as told

Installed MDT 2013 Update 1

Now I dont see the custom boot images (In your article they are named as MDT 2013 Boot Image) and thinking maybe I did something wrong.

Do we need to install MDT 2013 before installing MDT 2013 Update 1? Why I dont have those boot images?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your great articles!

you are welcome !

Now I dont see the custom boot images (In your article they are named as MDT 2013 Boot Image) and thinking maybe I did something wrong.

you didn't do anything wrong, those images are old boot images i created years ago in my lab so are only specific to my lab, you didn't install MDT back then therefore you don't have them

Do we need to install MDT 2013 before installing MDT 2013 Update 1? Why I dont have those boot images?

no not necessary ! you don't have them as they are simply old boot images I created in previous releases of MDT

the only reason you'd have them show up is if you installed an older version of ADK/MDT and then went through MDT integration into ConfigMgr and then created MDT boot images and finally upgraded as described in this guide.

• Like 1

Hi, Niall, thanks for all your work.

I actually upgraded prior to reading your guide unfortunately and have noticed these two issues:

1) My USMT was pointing to the correct new datasource location but wasn't renamed like your post said. I simply renamed it, but the Win8.1 version is still installed. Am I good to go or do I need to fix this? You said I would have problems deploying Win10 if I don't uninstall USMT for Win8.1 - which I haven't. What should I do?

2) After upgrade my USMT and boot images are at version 10.0.10586.0 (although Control Panel says USMT is v10.1.10586.0!) but in your guide they are at version 10.0.10240.16384. Is this a problem? Why is this?

Thanks, again. John.

Excellent post as always.

I would suggest adding a note about the issues with the latest ADK v1511 tho. I've just hit this issue after installing it. Only workaround is to uninstall ADK v1511 and install the RTM version.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511.aspx#pi168308=2

From Software Center, launch a task sequence that uses a Windows PE v10.0.10586 boot image. When the computer restarts into Windows PE, it will fail when “Initializing hardware devices” with the error: “Windows PE initialization failed with error code 0x80220014.”

At this time, we do not recommend that Configuration Manager customers use the 1511 version of the Windows 10 ADK.

Although I personally had this error in a build and capture pxe scenario, and others have reported it on bare metal installs too.

Rich Mawdsley

• Like 1

Hi, Niall, thanks for all your work.

I actually upgraded prior to reading your guide unfortunately and have noticed these two issues:

1) My USMT was pointing to the correct new datasource location but wasn't renamed like your post said. I simply renamed it, but the Win8.1 version is still installed. Am I good to go or do I need to fix this? You said I would have problems deploying Win10 if I don't uninstall USMT for Win8.1 - which I haven't. What should I do?

2) After upgrade my USMT and boot images are at version 10.0.10586.0 (although Control Panel says USMT is v10.1.10586.0!) but in your guide they are at version 10.0.10240.16384. Is this a problem? Why is this?

Thanks, again. John.

thanks

1. use the Windows 10 USMT package for your task sequences and you should be fine.

2. you've used the 1511 Windows 10 adk which is why your version is 10586, you can uninstall that ADK and use the original Windows 10 ADK instead which doesn't suffer from the issues mentioned in the post after yours.

Excellent post as always.

I would suggest adding a note about the issues with the latest ADK v1511 tho. I've just hit this issue after installing it. Only workaround is to uninstall ADK v1511 and install the RTM version.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511.aspx#pi168308=2

Although I personally had this error in a build and capture pxe scenario, and others have reported it on bare metal installs too.

Rich Mawdsley

done i've added a note about the different versions, thanks for pointing it out.

Hi anyweb,

I have at the time the SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 with Bulid Number 8239 and Console version 5.0.8239.1000 and I have still installed ADK 8.1 and MDT 2013.

Could I install ADK 10 and MDT 2013 update1 on my system? If yes how can I do that? Is the following steps OK?

1) Uninstall ADK 8.1 and install ADK 10

2) Uninstall MDT 2013 and install MDT 2013 update 1

3) Install SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1( KB KB3074857) and SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 (KB3100144)

Or should I install the new SCCM 1511 without to do above steps? I know I need for SCCM 1511 the ADK 10 and the CU1 and CU 2 are not mandatory).

Am I right?

Thanks for help

Keywan

I would change it like so

1) Uninstall ADK 8.1 and install ADK 10, reboot

2) Upgrade MDT 2013 to MDT 2013 update 1

3) Install SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1( KB KB3074857) and SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 (KB3100144)

once everything is in place, you can then consider doing an inplace upgrade to CM1511