xc3ss1v3

Cannot Add Boot Image

Good morning. It seems I have lost the ability to import and update boot images. I first noticed this while trying to add network drivers to my x86 boot image. Thinking that the image was simply corrupt, I decided to start a fresh one. Unfortunately, I cannot do that. The error I'm receiving states "You can not import this boot image. Only Finalized boot images are supported." I've tried using the boot images stored in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD, and images pulled from Windows ADK.

Any suggestions?

Digging a little deeper, I think the problem might be with DISM. There appears to be a broken mount point. I could just be chasing my tail here, but maybe that could cause this? Unfortunately, whoever did that has since deleted the original source location and so, trying to cleanup the mount using /cleanup-wim fails. Is there anything I can do to remove this? Can I simply delete the folder in C:\windows\temp\bootimages running as SYSTEM?

Update... I've seen it mentioned to ensure that McAfee is turned off or at least excluding file. I paid no attention to this as we aren't using McAfee. Fortunately, I was doing some folder maintenance while logged into our Central Administration Site and I decided to start another boot image import while watching the DISM log. Low and behold, I see a pop-up from Bit-9 asking if I wanted to allow or block DISM.exe from executing. So, because I was working from the console on my machine previously, I never saw this pop-up which eventually timed out and defaulted to block... Thank you security guy. Once I allowed the processes to continue, the image upload completed successfully.

I really hope others stumble onto this thread and others like it. It seems many security applications are set to at least prompt for DISM.exe.