Kingskawn

Clarification on wsus folders

Question

When you create a update package and at a certain point you have to give 'package folder'.

Do you have to make for each new package a new folder name?

I do have 1 shared folder now with all XP updates in it and I want to make new update packages so I want to create new folders in this to make it simpler to administrate all. But is this a good way?

EDIT: I also just deleted an update package but the folder with the updates from it is still on the server. Before deleting it I deleted for sure the distribution points hosting the updates. Can I delete it manually now or is it not secure?

7 answers to this question

I would kep them separate, easier to manage

see below

post-1-1254904541146_thumb.jpg

Ok I see but now I just made a simple deploy package with just XP sp3 in it and it doesn't make a package in 'Deployment Management' so I cannot target it to a collection.

It only made a deployment package...

don't manually delete the packages, do that within sccm and wait for the changes to propogate,

check your system status component logs and the package status logs to verify any problems.

deployment management contains the actions to deploy the actual packages, think of it as the advertisement,

so, if you want to create a new Deployment Management task, right click on your selected updates in your Search Folders, and choose Deploy Selected Updates, then go through the wizard to create a new Deployment Management task....

don't forget to Refresh the deployment management node...

deployment management contains the actions to deploy the actual packages, think of it as the advertisement,

so, if you want to create a new Deployment Management task, right click on your selected updates in your Search Folders, and choose Deploy Selected Updates, then go through the wizard to create a new Deployment Management task....

don't forget to Refresh the deployment management node...

Today I retried and the symbol next to SP3 in the list went green instead of red. I don't know what changed but the wizard makes a deployment management task and a deployment package.

I can't say what changed :( Let's hope that it will deploy on the machines now