Kops

Migrate ConfiMgr 2012 R2 to new Server

SQL doesn't always like having the server rename after SQL has been installed. I would install SQL after your rename the server.

Both SQL and Windows upgrade are fro the most part a "next, next,next" type of thing.

Some might argue that a side-by-side is more work but it will also be the safest. so what is the most important factors for you?

Can't express how much of a help it has been to be able to bounce some ideas off of you guys. I'll be moving forward with the side-by-side migration and will update this thread along the way with any success/failures I've had.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Greg

I'm not sure why you're not considering doing a side-by-side migration. It's the best and most simple option for you. There are so much content on how to do it out there.

Hi NickolajA,
We are on the process of upgrading the server OS of an SCCM primary site and wanted to ask you what is the best way to approach this. We currently have SCCM 2012 R2 RTM running on a Windows Server 2008 R2. On the SQL side, the DB runs on SQL 2008 on a separate Win2008R2 server. Our goal is to bring a new Windows 2012 R2 server, install a new SCCM site and use the migrate feature.
Do you have any recommendations/suggestions?

Hi NickolajA,
We are on the process of upgrading the server OS of an SCCM primary site and wanted to ask you what is the best way to approach this. We currently have SCCM 2012 R2 RTM running on a Windows Server 2008 R2. On the SQL side, the DB runs on SQL 2008 on a separate Win2008R2 server. Our goal is to bring a new Windows 2012 R2 server, install a new SCCM site and use the migrate feature.
Do you have any recommendations/suggestions?

What do you mean by migrate feature?

BTW, I would install SQL local to CM12. A ton less headache and generally better performance.

So I've done this before a few times in lab and once in production. What I found was that I had to make some final "tweaks" to things like re-installing SUP upon restore and a few other roles including my MP role. Total down time for the system was about 2 days while I worked out the kinks in everything.

I have to go through the transition next year though once my server is up from its warranty and lease which I'm not looking forward to again.

We are also going UCS so my system will most likely end up with SQL on the cluster and my system as one of many VM's on our UCS setup. Thanks to all the great information on here though I believe I can hopefully get through this ok without to many headaches (SQL being the big one that is going to arise).