Kops

Migrate ConfiMgr 2012 R2 to new Server

Hey everyone,

This project got pushed to Q2 so I am just gearing up to work on this again now. We'll likely go from SCCM 2012 to 1511 as well, hoping that I can still get some tips as you were all very helpful in the planning stage.

The question I had is about migrating clients from our current site to a new site. Are there any recommended ways to do this in bulk? We have about 500 desktops and 100 laptops in the environment and I'm not sure if the best approach is to use the current SCCM server to push a script to uninstall of the old client and reinstall with new client details, or if there are other methods?

Your thoughts are much appreciated :)

I deployed a .vbs to change the Site Code - worked well for 5k machines. Can do this via SCCM itself or via GPO up to you.

On Error Resume Next
set oSMSClient = CreateObject ("Microsoft.SMS.Client")
if Err.Number <>0 then
wscript.echo "Could not create SMS Client Object - quitting"
end if
'Assign client to Servername
oSMSClient.SetAssignedSite "SITECODE",0
set oSMSClient=nothing

Obviously just amend the SITECODE to your new one

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I deployed a .vbs to change the Site Code - worked well for 5k machines. Can do this via SCCM itself or via GPO up to you.

On Error Resume Next

set oSMSClient = CreateObject ("Microsoft.SMS.Client")

if Err.Number <>0 then

wscript.echo "Could not create SMS Client Object - quitting"

end if

'Assign client to Servername

oSMSClient.SetAssignedSite "SITECODE",0

set oSMSClient=nothing

Obviously just amend the SITECODE to your new one

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply Nathan, looks like a pretty straight forward script, the simpler the better! I'll keep this in my back pocket for when I get to that step. Has anyone else used something similar with success?

+1 for side by side. As you already have 2012, a forgotten bonus is the powershell ability.

Im planning on going from 2012 to crrent branch soon and will be using powershell where possible to import and export items such as applications, task seq etc. Need to create 100+ collections? No problems, powershell it :)

Sorry for going somewhat off topic

I recently went from R2 SP1 up to 1603. It was a straight forward upgrade and I haven't had any issues at all. All clients upgraded based on the settings for client upgrade on my system.

I still have to change over from my physical dedicated server to our UCS system as a VM in June so I'm still working on a plan of action for that myself. I'm thinking it will basically just be a restore once the VM is setup and a direct copy of the drive data on the existing machine over to the new machine.

Or I thought about maybe just a P2V but I'm not sure how that would work with having multiple raid array's for my SQL and source data.