steve11

Build and Capture not starting Software Updates with Timeout Period Expired 800705B4

I am trying to build and capture a Winddows 7 X64 Image using SCCM 2012 R2 (SP1). I have also installed Cumulative Updates 1 for R2 SP1 and made sure the client Patches CU1 during setup. I have been using Software Updates to clients on the Domain successfully but the OSD is failing to complete with the error "timeout period expired. Error: 800705B4" in the SMSTS.log (see attached).

I have ensured the Client install includes the following (note the FQDN is different to this, trying to not publish to the world):

SMSMP=server.com SMSSLP=server.com DNSSUFFIX=com

I have added the hotfix KB2522623 and also included the following command prior to the updates:

WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}" /NOINTERACTIVE

I have made sure the client correctly connects with an IP on the active Boundary. Also I have made sure the updates are correctly Distributed to the DP. I am at a loss for what is happening here?

Please see SMSTS.log, SoftwareUpdates.log, UpdatesHandler.log, UpdatesDeployment.log, UpdatesStore.log, and WUAHandler.log below for more info.

Here is excerpt from SMSTS.log when it fails:

executing command: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k

executed command: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k

FALSE, HRESULT=800705b4 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\installswupdate.cpp,1273)

Timedout waiting for updates refresh complete notification

WaitForRefreshUpdatesComplete(spInstall), HRESULT=800705b4 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\installswupdate.cpp,1331)

RefreshUpdates(), HRESULT=800705b4 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\installswupdate.cpp,923)

InstallUpdates(pInstallUpdate, tType, sJobID, sActiveRequestHandle), HRESULT=800705b4 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\main.cpp,248)

Setting TSEnv variable SMSTSInstallUpdateJobGUID=

Process(pInstallUpdate, tType), HRESULT=800705b4 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\main.cpp,302)

Process completed with exit code 2147943860

!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!

Failed to run the action: Install Software Updates 1st Pass.

This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (Error: 800705B4; Source: Windows)

MP server http://SERVER.comPorts 80,443. CRL=false.

Setting authenticator

Set authenticator in transport

Sending StatusMessage

Setting message signatures.

Setting the authenticator.

CLibSMSMessageWinHttpTransport::Send: URL: SERVER.com:80 CCM_POST /ccm_system/request

Request was successful.

Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=-2147023436

Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=false

Clear local default environment

The execution engine ignored the failure of the action (Install Software Updates 1st Pass) and continues execution

smsts.log

UpdatesDeployment.log

UpdatesHandler.log

UpdatesStore.log

WUAHandler.log

WindowsUpdate.log

My first suggestion, right off the bat: Update your Windows Update Agent. You're still on a version from 2012, which, back then, do you know what the top movie was? The Avengers. The Avengers came out the same year your Windows Update Agent did. 7.5.7601.17514 is old. Older than my imaginary, 3 year old son. 3 years ago, he wasn't even alive. That's insane.

That's crazy pants. Crazy. Pants.

But, yeah, update your WUA. Please.

That said, you're literally taking over 30 minutes to scan.

Async searching of updates using WUAgent started. WUAHandler 8/24/2015 2:13:04 PM 196 (0x00C4)
Async searching completed. WUAHandler 8/24/2015 2:37:57 PM 2136 (0x0858)
Successfully completed scan. WUAHandler 8/24/2015 2:42:35 PM 2928 (0x0B70)

Update. Package up the newest WUA, install it, make sweet love to it, and try it again.

Try newer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075851

The .320 is the base WUA they advertise so heavily when searching, but the updates after that add the new/better scanning mechanism that fixed the issue outlined here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2015/06/09/a-few-notes-on-the-recent-fix-for-the-configuration-manager-update-scan-failure-issue.aspx

My other suggestion, and frankly it's what I've begun doing as well, is just to utilize WSUS alone instead of attempting to utilize SCCM updates during OSD; I've found the Updates Step to be very flaky, and was only seeing about 1/4 actually kick off; the rest sat there in awkward silence, like that time I told my father I liked One Direction. It honestly seemed to have gotten worse post SP1/CU1; I have yet to open a ticket, mostly since the WSUS steps are just rock solid. You obviously miss out on the SCCM functionality, and have to manage a WSUS instance as well, but the trade off is worth it IMO.

To go off on a tangent, to do that, you'd want to do these steps:

Set Windows Update:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v WUServer /t REG_SZ /d FQDN:PortofServer /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v WUStatusServer /t REG_SZ /d FQDN:PortofServer /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v UseWUServer /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Set Target Groups (Which you'd make and manage in WSUS):

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v TargetGroupEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v TargetGroup /t REG_SZ /d OSD /f

Recycle Services:

cmd /c Powershell.exe Stop-Service wuauserv

Powershell.exe -command start-sleep 15

cmd /c Powershell.exe Start-Service wuauserv

Powershell.exe -command start-sleep 15

And then to install updates, run this VBS:

'----- Create Session -----
Set UpdateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
Set UpdateSearcher = UpdateSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()

'----- Search for Updates -----
Set SearchResult = UpdateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'")
For I = 0 To SearchResult.Updates.Count-1
Set Update = SearchResult.Updates.Item(I)
Next

'----- Quit if No Updates Found -----
If SearchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then
WScript.Quit
End If

'----- Create List of Updates to Download -----
Set UpdatesToDownload = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")
For I = 0 to SearchResult.Updates.Count-1
Set Update = SearchResult.Updates.Item(I)
UpdatesToDownload.Add(Update)
Next

'----- Download Updates -----
Set Downloader = UpdateSession.CreateUpdateDownloader()
Downloader.Updates = UpdatesToDownload
Downloader.Download()

'----- Create List of Updates to Install -----
Set UpdatesToInstall = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")
For I = 0 To SearchResult.Updates.Count-1
set Update = SearchResult.Updates.Item(I)
If Update.IsDownloaded = true Then
UpdatesToInstall.Add(Update)
End If
Next

'----- Install Updates -----
Set Installer = UpdateSession.CreateUpdateInstaller()
Installer.Updates = UpdatesToInstall
Installer.Install()

'----- Quit -----
WScript.Quit

Again, I'm not advocating abandoning SCCM Updates completely, but everywhere I've been, the SCCM updates process in OSD is simply abysmal. Not every environment will allow it either; you lose all content distribution ability that SCCM provides (though you could, if you feel froggy, utilize a central WSUS and BranchCache your way to happiness. You can also then utilize a Microsoft Point to Point VPN to connect up your Contoso clients in Madrid with your home office in Seattle and all use Skype to talk about the upcoming merger and acquisition on your Windows 10 Tablet devices running Office 365). You can follow every guide out there in terms of "Scan for Updates and hold your breath and don't cry cause it'll be over soon", but the consistency of it is simply lacking. MS makes the timings too tight for it to kick off and run in a decent amount of time, and the Task Sequence engine seems to lose its mind every other time it's run.

To make a long story short: Try the newest-and-test WUA, try less updates/remove un-needed updates, and pray. Pray, because OSD Updates are a fickle, fickle thing, and are the sole reason most people use MDT instead.

Thanks again Hotdog. I have updated the WUA to 7.6.7601.18937 which appear to have removed the earlier errors but I am not faced with further errors.

The updatesstore.log is showing: Failed to refresh Resync state message. Error = 0x87d00310.

The updatesdeployment.log is showing: InstallMandatoryUpdates failed, error 87d00708

It appears to be quicker now but basically the same result.

The UpdatesStore.log is also reporting "Querying update status of 57 updates." which is exactly how many updates are available in the Deployment Package.

I don't feel comfortable with starting afresh with using WSUS, but feel at this stage if I cant progress I will use offline servicing to install updates. Any thoughts on my continuing problem or this path would be great!

WindowsUpdate.log

UpdatesStore.log

UpdatesDeployment.log

WUAHandler.log

smsts.log