pbalderos

HELP! - OSD Task Seq keeps failing with "ZTI deployment failed, Return Code = -2147024809 0x80070057"

Hello All,

I just started using the MDT SCCM integrated task sequence to deploy Windows 7 and 8.1. my TS keeps failing shortly after "Applying Operating System". I copied the following logs and am trying to correlate them to the MDT Task Sequence. In particular I have been looking at the smsts.log, ztierrormsg.log, and DDB.log and they all have the same error in the logr and it says "ZTI deployment failed, Return Code = -2147024809 0x80070057" The only thing that I tried was Running Disk part and running the clean command on Disk 0. Didn't help a but. Any guidance would be appreciated. I attached all three logs

Thanks in advance!

AppDiscovery
BBD.log
OSDSetupWizard
smsts
smsts-20150827-215219
UDIWizard
wpeinit
ztibackup
zticopylogs
ztierrormsg
ZTIGather
ztimovestatestore
ZTINicConfig
ZTISCCM
ztisetbackground
ZTIValidate

BDD.log

smsts.log

ztierrormsg.log

Looking at the smsts.log it shows that it is failing to apply the image...I don't think it is failing after it. Here's what I see:

Set command line: "OSDApplyOS.exe" /image:WLH00020,2 "/config:WLH00024,unattend.xml" /target:%OSDisk%
((g_Target.Disk > 0) || (arg == L"0")) && (g_Target.Partition >= c_MinPartition), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,254)
The /target parameter specifies an invalid target location.

Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System Image. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)

Have you verified that your disk variable in the partitioning step is correct in the Apply OS step? Have you tried using the next available partition instead of a variable?

Looking at the smsts.log it shows that it is failing to apply the image...I don't think it is failing after it. Here's what I see:

Set command line: "OSDApplyOS.exe" /image:WLH00020,2 "/config:WLH00024,unattend.xml" /target:%OSDisk%
((g_Target.Disk > 0) || (arg == L"0")) && (g_Target.Partition >= c_MinPartition), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,254)
The /target parameter specifies an invalid target location.

Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System Image. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)

Have you verified that your disk variable in the partitioning step is correct in the Apply OS step? Have you tried using the next available partition instead of a variable?

Thanks h4x0r

I just started working with the MDT SCCM TS so I am still getting to know all of the option. Is this what you are talking about?

post-17849-0-79281600-1440790339_thumb.png

Yes. in your smsts log, it is trying to install the OS to whatever partition is set for the variable %OSDisk% and that can be set on the "Format and Partition" step. If you click on one of those steps, you'll see the different paritions listed that it will create...opening the properties for one of those partitions will list a space for what variable to use in that Apply OS step. In your case, it looks like an MDT step is setting that variable (just after the Format and Partition steps), so you might look there to verify that whatever TS variable it is using to identify the installation partition is being used in your Apply OS step (assuming you still have the "Logical drive letter stored in a variable" in use)

Thanks!

This is what that the partition and format section looks like. Should I change the variable name? Sorry still trying to wrap my head around some of the MDT task sequence options

post-17849-0-88054700-1440794026_thumb.png

If you double-click that partition (which is actually labeled OSDisk), you can see what variable is listed for that partition...however, you will also want to look at the "Set OSDisk Part" step, as that may be setting that variable as well (sorry, didn't look through your logs to see what that step was doing).

For troubleshooting purposes, you might try disabling the "Set OSDisk Part" step (assuming it is setting the partition variable for your Apply OS step), and either set the variable on the actual partition--labeled "OSDisk (Primary)" in your Format and Partition Disk step--or set your Apply OS step to use the next available partition.

• Like 1

If you double-click that partition (which is actually labeled OSDisk), you can see what variable is listed for that partition...however, you will also want to look at the "Set OSDisk Part" step, as that may be setting that variable as well (sorry, didn't look through your logs to see what that step was doing).

For troubleshooting purposes, you might try disabling the "Set OSDisk Part" step (assuming it is setting the partition variable for your Apply OS step), and either set the variable on the actual partition--labeled "OSDisk (Primary)" in your Format and Partition Disk step--or set your Apply OS step to use the next available partition.

Thanks again,

I was able to run the fill image with no errors. I followed one of the steps you recommended. Under Install>Apply Operating System Image: Properties Tab> Select the location where you want to apply this operating system I changed the option to "Next available formatted partition". The only thing I need to correct is that it is installing to the D: driver letter so I need to fix this. I think that was defined in the UDI Designer that I am using for this image. But I am happy to get the image install at this point. Thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it.

It may target the D drive during the installation, because the TS is going to recognize the first partition (the boot partition) as C. When the workstation finishing the imaging process, does it show C or D as the system drive?

Take a look at this article here...it isn't exacty a short read, but has a couple steps that I would start with...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/system_center_configuration_manager_operating_system_deployment_support_blog/archive/2014/04/28/how-to-ensure-that-windows-installs-on-c-during-a-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-osd-task-sequence.aspx

Specifically, once you get to the "Resolution" section, look at the settings for the boot and system partitions and make sure that those are what you have in your TS. If your boot partition is pulling a drive letter, then that could be part of the problem. Steps 7 and 8 might be unnecessary, as we are installing from WIM's here, and have not needed the OSDPreserveDrive letter variable set...but I would start there by verifying that those settings are good to go.

As a side note, I went back and looked at your SMSTS.log file because I was curious about your "Set OSDDisk Part" step in your TS...in your log file, it looks as though all of your Format and Partition steps were getting skipped...??? I could be wrong about what I'm seeing there, but under each section it says "The action (Format and Partition Disk...) has been skipped because the condition is evaluated to be false"...could you attach the smsts.log of your successful imaging process?