FazzaGBR

Image Capture Wizard Fails With Error Code (0x00004005)

I have created a new Windows 8.1update1 build in Hyper-V and installed all the software we need in the image, just like I have done numerous times before without any issues.

When I run the SCCM Image Capture Wizard it fails with error code 00004005 which after a quick search seems to be associated with the SysPrep part. Some websites list off a load of registry settings to reset which I have tried without any success as I just get the same error again. Another possible solution was to create a new local account with admin rights and try the wizard from that but alas the same error occurs.

I'm all out of ideas now so, help!

:(

post-25577-0-43935700-1441096910.png

attach the smsts.log please...

I cant find one!

I've looked in c:\_SMSTaskSequence\ but there is no logs folder and the ccm folder doesnt exist in c:\windows

Is there anywhere else the log file might be?

*EDIT*

Found one!

It was in the C:\Users\IT Services\AppData\Local\Temp folder and I've not attached it to this post.

smsts.log

Seems I have you all stumped!

I'm now preparing a Symantec Ghost image as I can no longer get SCCM to work which on 180 computers waiting for a new image is going to be fun and have to be done out of hours so no evenings for me for a while. :)

look through the log file and search for the word 'failed'

you'll see a few issues highlighted below

<![LOG[Connection to "\\gonzo\deploy$\Images\STUDENT BUILDS\Golden Image V3 (With All ICT Serif Software)" failed with credential conflict. Using existing connection.]LOG]!><time="09:09:46.108-60" date="09-01-2015" component="OSDCaptureCD" context="" type="2" thread="1712" file="tsconnection.cpp:330">

and later on

<![LOG[sysprep did not complete successfully]LOG]!><time="09:18:02.430-60" date="09-01-2015" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="3" thread="1636" file="prepareos.cpp:514">
<![LOG[RunSysprep(sCmdLine, bActivate, m_bDebug), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\prepareos\prepareos.cpp,1375)]LOG]!><time="09:18:02.430-60" date="09-01-2015" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="0" thread="1636" file="prepareos.cpp:1375">
<![LOG[unable to sysprep the machine, hr=80004005]

so... look next in

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther

and the following files pointing to the failure:-

• setupact.log
  • setuperr.log

can you attach them ?

look through the log file and search for the word 'failed'

you'll see a few issues highlighted below

<![LOG[Connection to "\\gonzo\deploy$\Images\STUDENT BUILDS\Golden Image V3 (With All ICT Serif Software)" failed with credential conflict. Using existing connection.]LOG]!><time="09:09:46.108-60" date="09-01-2015" component="OSDCaptureCD" context="" type="2" thread="1712" file="tsconnection.cpp:330">

Thanks for the reply, I did see that and the credentials are correct. I even tried the actual domain administrator account rather then the sccmadmin one I have used in the past and still the same thing. The accounts connect to the sccm server OK with full admin rights to the shares.

I wasnt aware of the 2 log files that sysprep creates so thanks for that - I shall take a look and see what they say.

:)

I've uploaded one log file, but the other one is empty and as it's 0KB the forum wont let me upload it.

setupact.log

This seems to be an issue with regards to using Hyper-V to create the image as I have used the same build-log tick sheet that I have and recreated the software build on a fresh VM and a physical machine and the Hyper-V VM fails with the same error code but the physical machine has created the image OK with the error.

The only issue with the physical machine method is that despite having Windows Updates turned off it automatically installs the Intel graphics card so before creating the image I have to make sure I uninstall it from Programs and Features - it's for things like this I have always used a VM in the past as nothing like this gets installed.

To overcome this 3 Sysprep time limitaiton, following are the walkaround:

Open regedit and look for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\CleanupState\

Set to value: 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\GeneralizationState\

Set to value: 7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SkipRearm

Set to value: 1

Then, run the command:

msdtc -uninstall (wait a few seconds)

msdtc -install (wait a few seconds)

Then, reboot the system and try to run sysprep again.

It is working to me. Good luck to you.:)

I also had this problem and did some research.

2016-10-10 12:48:33, Error SYSPRP Package Microsoft.FreshPaint_3.1.10156.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

2016-10-10 12:48:33, Error SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.

so what i did was uninstall the the Extra Cartoon apps. once i did that I reran the image file and started capturing the new image.