BrianGW

OSD Not Installing Windows Updates

All,

I could really use some help as I'm pretty lost with what to do or try next. Basically, I have a Windows 7 image that I created in April that includes the April updates. During OSD, I am attempting to install the newer updates and updates for software such as Office. This is the first time I am doing this so I made a test one by copying another task sequence and deploying it to the Unknown Computer container. I disabled most of the steps including things like software installs just to make this faster for testing. So basically, my task sequence applies the OS, makes some settings changes like joining the domain and applying the key. Next, the client is installed with the following installation properties "SMSMP=server.domin.local CCMLOGMAXSIZE=5242880 CCMLOGLEVEL=0 CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=3 CCMDEBUGLOGGING=1." Normally, the system would then install the software but that's disabled.

During my most recent test, I have added two other steps that were not there previously. They were the first two in the list below related to the machine policy. They were not there previously and I have the same outcome with or without them.

1. Machine Policy Agent Cleanup "WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000040}""
  2. Validate Machine Policy / Assignment "WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000042}""
  3. I then put in a 60 second delay "Powershell.exe -command start-sleep 60"
  4. Scan for updates "WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}" /NOINTERACTIVE"
  5. 30 second delay "Powershell.exe -command start-sleep 30"
  6. Install Software Updates with the option for Mandatory Software Updates

The first few times I tried this, there were a lot of updates so I trimmed it down to one update released in May, KB3046002. That update is in a Software Upgrade Group by itself. I figured if I could get this to work, I can start adding more in as the size of the group does not appear to matter. It does not work either way. When I configured this, the group was deployed to the unknown computers collection as required with an availability and installation date of as soon as possible.

Everything seems to complete successfully but when I log into the computer, the update was not installed. If I comb through the logs, it tells me that the update is not required. However, if I go to Windows Update, the update is there and required for installation. I can also download it and install it manually without an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.