Hi all,

I have looked all over the Internet and found people with the exact same problem, but I can't seem to fix this issue with the suggested solutions.

Suddenly PXE boot stopped working.

It worked for a couple of months.

No changes have been made on SCCM, Firewall or DHCP but PXE suddenly stopped working.

Error message (also see attached file):

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \boot\bcd
Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you...

Our situation:

SCCM 2012 R2

9 Distribution Points on different sites. PXE is failing on all remote locations.

DHCP Options are all set and are not changed since we've set it up.

Option 67 is: \smsboot\x64\wdsnbp.com

In the Boot Image Properties > Dara Source the option "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabed distribution point" is checked.

Both x86 and x64 Boot Images are deployed on the DP.

We do have a custom Boot image though, only x64 as we don't deploy x86 systems. We only deploy x64 Windows 8.1.

in the SMSPXE.log file I don't see any errors.

There is, however, one part that keeps coming back (change MAC address):

00:12:FB:xx:xx:xx, 00000000-0000-0000-0000-0012FBB03B27: device is not in the database.
00:12:FB:xx:xx:xx, 00000000-0000-0000-0000-0012FBB03B27: Not serviced.

So the SMSPXE.log file is full of these.

My guess is that this has something to do with the problem.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you.

post-31237-0-69308000-1441952826.png

Hi,

Is it the same computer model you are trying to image? Are you using unknown computer support?

DHCP Options should not be used, when PXE booting a device that runs UEFI instead of Leagcy BIOS it will fail as the boot file name is different from the one you are pointing on..

Regards,
Jörgen

Hi Jorgen, We have different computer models:

A couple of Dell laptops (Latitude E5520, E5540, Precision, etc...) and Microsoft Surface Pro 3

On all the laptops Legacy Boot is enabled.

PXE worked for a couple of months on all these models btw.

The MS Surface is being deployed with a bootable USB because we don't have that many of them.

Gr

When you say you don't use an x86 boot image, do you at least still have one?

WDS PXE doesn't work unless both boot images are present even if you're not using one. The x86 doesn't need drivers in or anything if you're not using it but it does need to be enabled for PXE and distributed.

Edit: just noticed you did say the x86 is distributed, but is it enabled for PXE?

Also regardless of the bit level of boot image your DHCP option points to SCCM will actually load the WinPE image that was associated with the last task sequence that was deployed to any collection, so if you've deployed a TS that uses anything other than your usual x64 image it could be that.

I recently discovered that this still happens even if the last deployed TS uses a boot image that isn't PXE enabled, resulting in completely broken PXE.

Hi,

The screenshot you posted above looks very much like a UEFI based computer trying to boot using the "old" .com file you specified in the option 67. Have you verified that the computers not are configured to used UEFI as Surface Pro 3?

/Jörgen

Try this.

Create a new device collection, don't bother adding any members or rules just leave it empty.

Deploy the task sequence for your legacy machines that uses your normal PXE boot image to the new collection.

Now see if your PXE is working again.

Hi,

The screenshot you posted above looks very much like a UEFI based computer trying to boot using the "old" .com file you specified in the option 67. Have you verified that the computers not are configured to used UEFI as Surface Pro 3?

/Jörgen

Yes, I am sure that UEFI is not enabled.

As I've said before it worked for a couple of months.

Only the MS Surface is is using UEFI and we are booting there with a USB stick.