MagnumVP

Need to Migrate 2012 Clients to New Server

If you shut down the old server, reset the object in AD, and then join the new server under the same name, then it will take the place of that AD object...THEN, if (for whatever reason) you have to shut down the new server and bring the old one back online, just do that same process to bring the old server back online...because, really, any issues you have with the new server are probably going to surface right away.

I can say that I have effectively used this method at another site in which a SP install crashed and the site had to be restored. We ended up taking the opportunity to wipe the VM and install server 2012 R2, effectively overwriting the "old" server object in AD with this new one. After getting SQL squared away, we ran the site restore and bing, bang, boom...the site was up and running again. Overall, I would say that as long as you have a good backup (ie, not corrupt) that this is a VERY easy process.

I'm gonna go against everyone here and recommend a side-by-side migration. I'd assume that the old server that was not meant for production may have a few "bad" configuration choices, meaning installing everything on the C: drive etc.

If you go with the restore scenario, remember to bring up a SQL Server with the same version as before. Also remember to make sure any IP Helpers or such are configured against the new server IP, unless you'd want to reuse that as well.

Anyhow, it will almost take you the same time to perform a restore as it takes to side-by-side migrate the whole environment.

That's 6 of one, half dozen another...at least, I didn't THINK you had to change your site code under that scenario...which is ultimately what the OP is trying to avoid.

But with a side-by-side migration like that, I would be concerned about the ability to bring up the old server in the event that there's a problem with the new one (since that is apparently a concern that has to be met in that environment).