akearins

Compress Larger Application Downloads

Not via standard Application and Package deployment methods (that I am aware of)...what you're talking about sounds like a pain though, because it would mean zipping up all your program installers, then creating a task sequence using "run command line" steps with the package as the source to unzip the file to a directory on the workstation, followed by another run command line step to kick off the installer from the files that have been unzipped. The problem you run into there is part of the reason CM made the move from Packages for application installation (in SCCM 2007) to their Applications model...very simply: detection methods. How do you know if the command line you just executed ACTUALLY install the software successfully?

I would look at your client BITS settings and see if tweaking those helps...if it is set really low, then you might be able to open that up a little more.

One giant zip might get tedious when you have application updates that need to get included for later iterations. It would probably be better (assuming you REALLY wanted to go the zip-copy-unzip-install route) to create individual zip packages to make updating them easier. It would also help with troubleshooting if something were to go wrong...but still...this seems like a lot of extra work, and you're losing application detection as well. Just my two cents :P