anyweb

How can I deploy a customized Windows 10 start menu using System Center 2012 R2 SP1 Configuration Manager ?

I've got this working well other than the width shows 12 columns when I customized and exported the xml with 6 columns so the items fitted exactly.

It now shows a blank grey space next to the actual icons, has anyone else encountered this, is there a way to manually modify the xml to only show the required 6 columns.

This is the xml structure of my start menu

<LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
<DefaultLayoutOverride>
<StartLayoutCollection>
<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
<start:Group Name="" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\lync.exe" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.Computer" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.SoftwareCenter.DesktopToasts" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.ControlPanel" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONENOTE.EXE" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="6" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.Shell.RunDialog" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="6" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="6" DesktopApplicationID="{1AC14E77-02E7-4E5D-B744-2EB1AE5198B7}\cmd.exe" />
</start:Group>
</defaultlayout:StartLayout>
</StartLayoutCollection>
</DefaultLayoutOverride>
</LayoutModificationTemplate>
This is the source menu
post-31395-0-80505700-1443307566.jpg
The result of the import give this menu
post-31395-0-95783600-1443307733.jpg
That the default is 2 columns unless I specify a layout element such as

<LayoutOptions

StartTileGroupsColumnCount="1" ?

Thanks for reviewing.

Also confirmed that the import does work after deploying without copy profile

I'm in the same situation. My image is Win10 Pro 10240. My XML works fine on my laptop that was never syspreped. I did use CopyProfile=yes on my image. Any solutions ? Thanks.

Hi

My first OSD with Windows 10 (on a Virtual Machine running under Hyper-V) is not simply opening the start menu. I have tried several options that I found online, but none of them worked for me.

I'll try to re-image the computer but I think it'll happen again. But would someone have any explanation to this to happen? And just to be cleared, I didn't do anything that is posted here. Just looking for a solution to this problem.

Thank you in advanced!