anyweb

How can I deploy a customized Windows 10 start menu using System Center 2012 R2 SP1 Configuration Manager ?

The import seems to work, no errors, but the startmenu and the taskbar is not changed. When i remove the part of the xml where the taskbar is changed then it works (customized Startmenu), When i take the same xml and remove the Startmenu part, then the taskbar is changed. So it looks like changing the startmenu and the taskbar in one xml does not work.

I make the reference images with MDT (wiith CopyProfile) and use Configmanager (1606) to deploy to workstations

Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 Build 15063 (we are using O365 Win10 Enterprise E3 seats, so the OS is Pro until the user logs in for the first time)

I have followed this how-to step-by-step, without skipping a beat; checked my work 20 times before testing it.

I'm doing this to the same test hardware as well, Dell E5550 laptop

I do not get an error at all and my task sequence completes successfully... but it does not work.  I login with my test (non-admin) account, and it's the default start menu layout.

Niall,

I've followed the directions, and am using Win 10 Enterprise x64 1703. The XML file ends up in the correct location.  I am not using CopyProfile. However, I am using a Guest account (its for a lab). It doesn't apply.... Unless! :) You log into the system with a non guest account after imaging. Then it takes effect.

Just wanted to pass the information on,

Jesse

Hi all,

We are on 1803 and I'm trying by all means to finally have a working startmenu layout. For now it's not working and I tried almost everything. I don't see any other methods

xcopy "Menu\LayoutMod.xml" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell"  /Q /Y /I

powershell.exe Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath "Menu\Layout.bin" -MountPath $env:SystemDrive\

Powershell.exe Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath Menu\Taskbar.xml -MountPath $Env:SYSTEMDRIVE\

Powershell.exe Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath Menu\LayoutMod.xml -MountPath C:\

Nothing works and it blocks my mass deployment 😥

@Kingskawn

Here's my XML file I'm using. Feel free to use and modify etc. 

Also, there is a group policy under
Computer Configuration > Policies > administrative templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Start Layout. Enable the setting, and give it a path (C:\windows\tb_layout\layoutmodification.xml).

Use a group policy preference to place a folder and the file into whatever location for the machines needing the custom layout. 

When group policy runs and the next time those computers log in, they should have the custom start menu layout.

LayoutModification.xml