e5franson

OSD task sequence failing, not sure what to make of the logs.

I'm in the process of building up a new 2012 server to replace our 2007 server. I've migrated collections, packages, and task sequences to the new server, and am getting close to moving into production. To test out the OS deployment, I created task sequence media so I could test imaging in a VM before changing our PXE settings. I've worked through a few issues witht he migrated packages but now I'm stuck. Packages seem to be "failing" during the application install phase, but the logs dont seem to be helpful (at least from what I see.) I've dumbed down one of my task sequences to just Office 365, and .net 4/4.5 plus updates,and random packages are failing. I've double checked to make sure that the packages are on the DP, that the imaging account has rights etc. These same task sequences worked previously in our 2007 environment. Anythign else for me to try? Smsts log attached

smsts.log

From the logs you can see that your content hashes are not correct:

DownloadContentAndVerifyHash() failed. 80091007.

I'd suggest that you re-distribute all of your packages, and attempt to split up the Install Software steps into a single Package per step for troubleshooting purposes. There were other issues as well, like the following:

Failed to run the action: KB2840642 .NET 4.5 Update.
The upgrade cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade. (Error: 8007066A; Source: Windows)

Side note regarding .NET 4.5 update...you might need to extract the contents of the update and put those in a package/application, as I had trouble with the .NET 4.5 update running from a TS when just using the compressed installer.

But yeah, definitely re-distribute those packages if you hadn't already distributed that content (I didn't think that migrating from 2007 to 2012 automatically distributes packages to your DP).

Side note regarding .NET 4.5 update...you might need to extract the contents of the update and put those in a package/application, as I had trouble with the .NET 4.5 update running from a TS when just using the compressed installer.

But yeah, definitely re-distribute those packages if you hadn't already distributed that content (I didn't think that migrating from 2007 to 2012 automatically distributes packages to your DP).

I should have included this in my OP, but the package works fine when pushed down to a client as opposed to part of a TS. I have redistributed the package and updated the DP, no dice thus far though. I feel like something is just wrong with my SCCM install as a whole, and am considering starting from scratch.

That's the same behavior I was having, too. I would suggest extracting the installer (mine was like 68MB, but right at 1GB after extraction) and running the setup.exe with your switches that way. You can do that as either a package or application (Peter van der Woude has instructions on his blog to set this up as an application if you so wish). I never found out why I couldn't deploy it from a TS as the 68MB file, but I suspected it may have been some wierd caching issue. However, that's been the only app/package that I've ever had that problem with.