draker

Slow application deployments from SCCM 2012 R2 [no CU]

We are experience a strange issue with some application deployments. It appears application deployments containing a large number of files are very slow to deploy. Examples being Adobe products and Autodesk products, but not limited to these applications.

Initially, I thought perhaps network bandwidth might be the issue however, if I download a file directly from the DP via http, it downloads at normal speed. On the flipside, if we deploy autodesk, the download will sit at 0% on the client for a very long time. Hours even or days even..

As a test we zipped the files and did a test deployment transferring a large zip, and it downloaded quickly.

Looking at the IIS logs I see files downloading to the client, but at a very slow rate. Generally I'll see a 401 - not authorized, followed by a 200 right after with domain\computeraccount$ for credentials.

Smaller deployments work great. There are no bits throttling settings specified. No 404 errors seen in the IIS logs. No bandwidth throttling in IIS. bitsadmin /list /allusers usually shows 'CONNECTING' state.

I am at a loss about where to look next to troubleshoot this issue.

You should definitely consider upgrading your environment to at least CU5 for 2012 R2, or why not go all the way to SP1 for 2012 R2. I remember there were some issues as well like geckostech describes, but I couldn't find any good source about it right now.

I recall seeing issues with slow OSD deployments and there was a fix for that in one of the CU's. I don't know if that fix applies to deployments that are not OSD. I do agree that upgrading to R2 SP1 is a good idea.. although with SCCM 2016 around the corner I was hoping to delay a bit.

The fix you're referring to was the slow downloads of WIM files, during the Apply Windows Image step. It was addressed in CU1 for 2012 R2. Microsoft also released a hotfix for it (KB2910552).

Yeah, correct. I just don't think that hotfix applies in my situation. Was there another slow download issue noted/resolved in a later CU?

It appears application deployments containing a large number of files are very slow to deploy. Examples being Adobe products and Autodesk products, but not limited to these applications.

Did you ever find a solution to this? We have the same issue on R2 CU3.

Deploying Visual Studio 2015 (6000 files, 16 GB) on 30 computers is taking days for the clients to download. Resource Monitor on the client shows ~1 MB/s from the DP that is on the same LAN with a gigabit connection. Copying the same files with SMB takes a matter of minutes.