boyjaew2

OSD Task Sequence not listed after PXE in WinPE

Question

OSD is one of the first things I learned how to do and it's been a LONG time since I've had issues with it. I have honestly never seen this. I build my TS to deploy a system image like I have done a hundred times. Now, no matter what I do I can not get my TS to show in the list of availble task sequences. I have built from scratch, copied other known working TSs and nothing is making the damn thing show up. All of the referenced components have been distibuted and I have deployed the TS. Nothing. I'm I missing something here?

The thing that is different in this case is I am trying to deploy to a VM. Which I have also done succesfully with no issue. Now it is time to refresh or even build a new image from scratch and nothing I have done will get the TS in the list. All my current OSD TSs are listed, but those won't work because I need the custom boot image that has the VM tools drivers in it. I have even tried selecting one of those just for the heck of it and they done't work because of the drivers. I am new to this specific process so maybe I am missing something, but I've been working on it for two days now and am starting to go a bit bonkers. If it would show up and fail that would at least be SOMETHING at this point. Help me out, please.

5 answers to this question

you didnt mention what version of ConfigMgr you are using, if it's SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 then you've hit a bug that means the deployment needs to be rescheduled to a day before,

if not, then can you post your smsts.log file pls

That did the trick alright. Now to the root cause.

I'm trying to do something that I haven't done. Helpdesk is requesting something of an LTI or ZTI that will require less of their time configuring profiles, installing/updating software, drivers etc. etc. I am trying to keep my deployment images very thin. While they want all manner of stuff baked into the image. I have given up trying to explain to them why a bloated image is a bad idea. It SEEMS like I might be best served intergrating MDT into SCCM. I have used it before, but not integrated like this. I have already tried building a custom unattend file to deploy with my image, but it failed on the specialize pass. So, I figured before I go down that rabbit hole I might take a quick peek down a diferent one. :)

I have SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 and an installer fro MDT 2013 Update 1 (6.3.8298.1000) - most current version?. I'm confident I can get it installed and integrated. My questions are these:

1- Am i even heading in the right direction thinking MDT is going to help me with this scenario

2- Is this version of MDT going to work with my current SCCM environment

3- I have seen the guide for MDT integration, assuming I am heading down the right track and all the components are going to be compatible, is this the best guide to try and follow for what I want to do or is there something even more basic or more similar to my scenario I should look at?

If there is a better place to post this question please let me know and I can move it.