suspect0

New SCCM 2012 R2 Deployment

I'm working on standing up a new Config Manager install for our company. I have about 5 years experience with SCCM 2007 but I've never installed it.

It's going to be installed on a Hyper-V VM, hardware specs won't be an issue at all.

My questions is really about getting started. Should I install SQL on a second box or on the same box as SCCM? How should I partition the drives for storage and for SQL? I gave myself 1TB to play with as far as disk space. Any help would be appreciated.

I would go with a local Sql on the primary server.https://stevethompsonmvp.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/why-you-should-not-use-remote-sql-server-with-configmgr-2012/

Make sure configuration manager is not installed to the c drive. Search for info from Kent Agerlund regarding setting up the database manually rather than letting the configmgr install do it.

Here are some high-level steps that I always performs for a new install:

- Create volumes for best performance in ConfigMgr, including the following volumes:

- OS

- Program Files (for SQL instance and ConfigMgr installation)

- Content Source (for all content including WSUS)

- SQL Database

- SQL Logs

- SQL TempDB

- Install SQL Server with latest supported Service Pack and Cumulative Update for ConfigMgr on the same box that will host the Primary Site

- Configure SQL according to best practice for ConfigMgr, pre-create the ConfigMgr database and split it into the same amount of available vCPU's

- Install a Primary Site

• Like 1

I'm curious about the following step you have listed

- Configure SQL according to best practice for ConfigMgr, pre-create the ConfigMgr database and split it into the same amount of available vCPU's

Can you explain this in more detail? From reading it I'm thinking you split the CM_??? database for configMGR into multiple databases. I split out my tempdb files starting with 8 of them for processing performance in SQL but I never have heard about splitting the configmgr DB.

I'm curious about the following step you have listed

Can you explain this in more detail? From reading it I'm thinking you split the CM_??? database for configMGR into multiple databases. I split out my tempdb files starting with 8 of them for processing performance in SQL but I never have heard about splitting the configmgr DB.

I skipped this part and had Config Manager create the database for me. I know creating it beforehand is probably the preferred method, but I'm not terribly good with SQL and didn't want to screw things up before I started.

Sorry that really doesn't answer your question, but just sharing my process.

@suspect()

Yeah I did the same thing in my installation but after hearing and reading now about splitting the CM database into multiple files based on the amount of cores you have I'm curious as to what really performance wise you could expect without also separating each file onto its own dedicated spindles.