Grasty

Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 Imaging?

Question

So I have a working Windows 10 OSD Deployment MDT Based Task Sequence that I am trying to use on a Surface Pro 3.

I added the NIC Drivers to the x64 Boot Image, and I have confirmed on other systems that the x64 Boot Image is the one being grabbed by PXE (The whole LIFO thing), so I am confident that the x64 Boot Image is what is being grabbed on the Surface.

When i attempt to PXE Boot on the Surface I just get the error "Invalid Signature Detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup".

If it makes a difference, I am using a dock.

Also I am using SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 (I also have MDT 2013 Update 1 Re-Release installed).

7 answers to this question

Im not sure if it is failing before or after picking the boot image and connecting to the SCCM Server.

I only see these two lines in the smspxe log from this morning since I got here

Begin validation of Certificate [Thumbprint E6A6897EBADD1990D967119DE527783A302D2587] issued to '{E80B36A6-97EA-40AE-AB65-C5D77BEC0077}' SMSPXE 9/26/2015 9:44:57 AM 11544 (0x2D18)
Completed validation of Certificate [Thumbprint E6A6897EBADD1990D967119DE527783A302D2587] issued to '{E80B36A6-97EA-40AE-AB65-C5D77BEC0077}' SMSPXE 9/26/2015 9:44:57 AM 11544 (0x2D18)

Here is the error: http://imgur.com/6YchO5i

To PXE Boot, I am holding down the volume down button and pressing the power button. Then I let go of the volume down button when i see the Surface Logo. Then i see something along the lines of "PXE Boot ipv4" or something like that. Then I get the error.

This is a brand new surface pro 3, so the settings on it should all be whatever they default as when you buy it.

So after spending all day trying to get this to work, I think I found the issue.

I could have sworn these guys were using ip helper addresses and not DHCP Options, so when I saw all those recommendations to use ip helper addresses, I ignored them because I thought they were already setup.

I noticed that there was another message popping up in between the PXE IPv4 and the error I was getting, but it was flashing across the screen really quick and i couldnt read it in time. I video recorded the process and tried to go frame by frame and noticed "NBP Filename boot\x86\wdsnbp.com", which is weird because im using a x64 Boot image. So I looked at the DHCP Options and sure enough, there was Option 66 and 67 pointing to the SCCM Server and boot\x86\wdsnbp.com. I tried removing them, but then PXE just timed out so I dont think they have the ip helper addresses configured. Unfortunately that isnt something I have access to so I cant check it.

Anyways, im confident that is the issue. If it still doesnt work after ip helper addresses then I will post back here.

awesome result, and yes the SP3 won't be able to boot from that boot image as it's x64

can you do me a favor and video the boot sequence up until your error so i can see where it's failing with that error ?

Hi,

It will not boot using that either as it is not an BIOS machine it uses UEFI and the boot file name is different for UEFI. So what you need to do is to switch to using IP Helpers instead of the DHCP Option. The DHCP option as never been recommended by Microsoft and possible not supported either and the reason is the little issue you have ran into now that it will not support different technologies.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2011/01/05/troubleshooting-the-pxe-service-point-and-wds-in-configuration-manager-2007.aspx

Regards,
Jörgen