W10 OSD Doesn't Join Domain

Hi!

I'm at my wits end here.

I have a E7440 and E7450 laptop.

If I try to deploy W8.1 to them via SCCM - all works well.

If I try to deploy the same task sequence (with appropriate changes made for W10 - e.g. different install.wim / boot.wim) -

• on a VM - all works well; W10 is installed, successfully joins the domain
  • on the E7440/E7450 - it doesn't join the domain - it just stops at the Wi-Fi screen asking which SSID you want to connect (it also shows physical adapter is connected); if I click 'Next', Task Sequence continues but fails to install any of the applications since the machine failed to join the domain and couldn't access the shares
  • it doesn't seem to be a case of missing network drivers as the physical network adapter has an IP address both during WinPE and after the WinPE phase

The task sequence uses an unattend.xml file although I chose not to define <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE> - I didn't have to (it worked in W8.1).

Googling around says to use HideWirelessSetupInOOBE to skip the Wi-Fi screen - I tried and it does skip the screen but the physical machines still fail to join the domain.

I checked the logs time and again and just can't find any errors.

After all, it works on a VM.

Even if I switch off Wi-Fi on the E7440 laptop (using the physical Wi-Fi switch) - it still fails to join the domain....

Any one has any ideas?

I just checked our task sequence. I had a similar problem with our E7450, I switched the driver install for that model to Install Driver Package instead of Auto Apply Drivers and it seemed to have gone away at that point.

holy crab!!! that worked! you saved me so so so so much time man!

thank you so much!

is it a E7440/E7450 issue or a W10 issue?

am I not supposed to use 'auto apply drivers' or is it some kind of bug?

I think it is a combination of Windows 10 and Dell's Drivers. On our Windows 7 task sequence we use Auto Apply Drivers for that model (runs faster than Install Driver Package). I only had to switch it when I tested Win10 on this model (with Dell's Win10 drivers)...

~Tom

You should never use the Auto APply functionaly for applying drivers, that's basically a best practice in the community. Driver Packages are proven to work best in almost all scenarios if they've been created with care.

You should never use the Auto APply functionaly for applying drivers, that's basically a best practice in the community. Driver Packages are proven to work best in almost all scenarios if they've been created with care.

Hmm I don't quite understand "should never use the Auto APply functionaly".

It seems like a perfectly fine function other than the 'bug/issue' with W10 + E7XX0.

One drawback of 'Install Driver Package' is it becomes a requirement for the package to be available on the distribution point during deployment - even if you do not intend to deploy that driver package to the laptop (i.e. it's for a different laptop model)

(do correct me if I am wrong)

I use one master task sequence to deploy OS to all laptops across the organization - different offices have different laptops.

The master task sequence contains driver installation for over 10 different laptops (each it's own separate step).

With 'Auto Apply Drivers', I group drivers for each laptop into their own respective categories.

Using task sequence conditions, I configure the task sequence to 'auto apply' only ABC drivers if it is a ABC laptop, etc.

When the task sequence runs, it doesn't try to validate if the driver package exists on the distribution point.

(because 'auto apply' doesn't have such requirement)

With 'Install Driver Package', I need to deploy all the driver packages listed/referenced in this master task sequence to all the distribution points.

If I know that XYZ office only has ABC laptops, then I only need/want to distribute the driver package for ABC laptops to this office.

This way, I can use one master task sequence for the different offices without having to distribute all the possible/referenced driver packages to all the distribution points.

(i.e. 1 master task sequence for 10 different laptops - but each office's distribution point only needs to store driver packages of laptops in that office)

Hmm I don't quite understand "should never use the Auto APply functionaly".

It seems like a perfectly fine function other than the 'bug/issue' with W10 + E7XX0.

If you've got lots of different models of computers, auto-apply can break stuff for some of them. It'll sometimes pick the wrong "best" driver for a component.

I'd say that if if works for you, then hey, great. We ran with it for a long time. Then we got in some Lenovo T440s that required a newer version of a driver used by our existing Dell Optiplex 7010s. When auto-apply picked that "better" driver for the 7010s... BSOD.

If you've got lots of different models of computers, auto-apply can break stuff for some of them. It'll sometimes pick the wrong "best" driver for a component.

I'd say that if if works for you, then hey, great. We ran with it for a long time. Then we got in some Lenovo T440s that required a newer version of a driver used by our existing Dell Optiplex 7010s. When auto-apply picked that "better" driver for the 7010s... BSOD.

For example if you have several versions of the driver in your catalog but they are intended for various models, the PnP will select which one it thinks is the best in accordance with it's ruleset and it might break things, especially for TPM drivers this happened a lot a while ago. Driver Packages is the way to go, it's also really simple to maintain and update with a versioning fasion.