Kevin79

Auto name computer

Question

I have 15 different offices. Can I have OSD automatically name computers differently for each office (based on OU or something)? I want the naming to be sequential per location and automatic. Is this possible?

For example:

Detroit

• Det-pc001
  • Det-pc002
  • Det-pc003
  • etc

Chicago

• Chi-pc001
  • Chi-pc002
  • Chi-pc003
  • etc

Is this possible to do?

6 answers to this question

You can achive this without heavy scripting, just by using MDT and MDT Database.

Check out this http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/305/Generate-computer-names-in-MDT-2012-2013-based-on-prefix-and-a-sequence-number

You can add the Location part also by using the MDT Database as backend and the default gateway as trigger option.

Of course, you can do almost anything with MDTs customsetting.ini.

The question is, why would you want to do that.

We are using only the serial number as computer name for a long time now. I think that's the most reliable way of unique naming. This way don't have to rename a computer when you are moving it to a different OU.