horshamit

Application deployment fails on 1st attempt, successful on 2nd - Exit Code 16389

Hello

I'm looking for some advice on a problem I am having when trying to deploy an application that has dependencies on other applications. Please bear with me while I try to explain the problem.

I am trying to deploy an application called SAP, that has a dependency on 2 other applications - .net Framework and Visual C++ Redist. When the application is deployed, if it detects if one of the 2 other apps are missing and then it will automatically deploy those first.

If I deploy SAP to a client that has both dependencies, the deployment works fine. If i deploy to a client that does not have .net installed the deployment fails with exit code 16389.

After some research I discovered that i need to change the deployment setting to "run installation and uninstall program as 32-bit processes on 64-bit clients". This now seems to get further but is still failing.

I'm deploying SAP and using notifications in Software Centre to monitor the deployment. The packages are downloaded successfully, it detects that .net framework isn't installed, but as soon as it tries to deploy .net it fails again with exit code 16389. However, if i then click "retry" within Software Centre the entire deployment works fine - .net and SAP installation!

When I look through the appenforce.log file i can see both attempts at the deployment, the 1st with the error exit code, and the second one going through fine. The only differences that i can see between them in the log file are the session ID's:

The 1st attempt session ID is 4294967295

The 2nd attempt session ID is 1

Any idea why this would be happening? I've attached some screenshots if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

post-30674-0-05970400-1444396010.jpg

post-30674-0-32818000-1444396013.jpg

post-30674-0-92974300-1444396016.jpg

post-30674-0-10616200-1444396024.jpg

post-30674-0-27602700-1444396030.jpg

post-30674-0-18274900-1444396035.jpg

If I run the following manually it works fine:

NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q /norestart /ChainingPackage ADMINDEPLOYMENT

Seems to be only via SCCM deployment thats having a problem.

I also get the same error if i deploy the application for .net only, and not as a dependency for SAP

Notice something else now...

If i make the application available to the client, and then click install from software centre, the application deploys and installs ok

If I make it required, it fails, and then only works if i click retry in software centre