Jaybone

Office 2013 Updates - ridiculous disk usage

Hi, all. I noticed today that the disk space on our Config Manager server was getting a bit more filled up than I'd like. Dumping the .wim.bak files left over from offline servicing helped, but when I fired up Treesize, it pointed out that our Office 2013 updates are taking up a TON of space. Right now, that number is right around 63GB. This for an app that's only three years old, while a 6 year old OS's (Win7) updates are only taking up around 11GB.

September's Office 2013 updates alone comprise 231 folders and files worth of stuff, out of 7416 total folders and files. We've only got 139 updates currently deployed that aren't expired or superseded, and they span years worth of stuff, so I'm not sure where all the extra stuff's coming from. I'd imagine most/every update would have two files - 32 and 64 bit - but not tens of files.

A lot, maybe a majority of the files appear to be language packs (e.g. proof-zh-tw.cab) that we have zero use for, even though we're only set to download English packages.

Anyone know if this is normal for Office 2013? Seems a bit excessive, but I've got nothing to compare against.

I'd say that's "normal". It all comes down to what update classifications that you've selected to download in addition to the update languages. I'd start looking at deploying SP1 if you haven't done that already.

Check in the WSUS console to see if someone have used that to configure the language settings. If you for instance make a change through ConfigMgr on your SUP, it's propagated to WSUS. But if you make a change in the WSUS console, it's not visible in the ConfigMgr console.

Check in the WSUS console to see if someone have used that to configure the language settings.

It was indeed set to all languages. Fixed that.

What I don't understand, though, is why the Config Manager stuff would be grabbing multiple languages, if only set to use one.

WSUSContent folder is on one disk with plenty of room. The Office 2013 folder that Config Manager is using is on a different disk. Does CM just pull everything over that's found in the WSUSContent folder, regardless of what CM is set to sync?