spgsitsupport

Automatically updating the Configuration Manager client CU1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/08/04/automatically-updating-the-configuration-manager-client.aspx

"Choosing the “Automatically apply” option results in the installer performing the following steps:

1. Places the most recent client patch file on the site server.
  2. Updates content on the distribution points for this site and any child sites. Note this only occurs when the cumulative update runs on the Central Administration Site (CAS).

3. Updates the client package on the Management Point of the local site; this source is used in the event there are no distribution points available for client installation. Note that in the case of a hierarchy, the cumulative update should be run at child sites to update their local Management Points as well.

In addition to the above, future client installations using the Client Push method will apply the new patch automatically.

The time frame for updating the client depends on the automatic client upgrade settings.

Note that the client version displayed on the Automatic Client Upgrade tab of the Site Settings Properties dialog box will not change with the installation of a cumulative update."

and

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2015/08/04/cumulative-update-1-for-configmgr-2012-sp2-and-configmgr-2012-r2-sp1-is-now-available.aspx

CU1 update CM12_SP2R2SP1CU1-KB3074857-X64-ENU creates CU1 KB3074857 - x86 client update & CU1 KB3074857 - x64 client update packages

But how do already installed clients get updated? Do I need to Deploy above? None of the above makes much sense to me (I see nothing like: Updates the client package on the Management Point of the local site...)

CU1 client is 5.00.8239.1203 , but so far none of my workstations got updated to it (still on 5.00.8239.1000)

Thanks

Seb

Cumulative updates for the SCCM client need to be deployed, in the same way as any other package, in order to update clients of an older version that are already installed.

Automatic Client Upgrade only updates to major versions i.e. Service Packs.