vurt

OSD Task Sequence Hangs

Hi everyone!

I am experiencing a weird issue with a newly created task sequence in our new CM12 environment. This is a brand new install of CM12 R2 SP1, and nothing was migrated over from the old environment. We are a small shop with a simple environment, one single site server. I've created the OSD task sequence using our custom WIM that was captured in our old MDT/WDS environment (MDT 2012, not sure specific version) with ADK 8.1.

The issue I'm having is that the task sequence hangs during the "Applying Operating System" step, and it doesn't go anywhere. I am working off-site today and have not had the opportunity to look at it, but a coworker did tell me it was sitting at a black screen with the message "No operating system installed, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" which tells me the OS did not install properly.

I was looking through SMSTS.log and didn't notice anything peculiar, but it seemed to stop logging after that step began. I've been Googling and asking others, but I'm at a loss right now. Is there a way to turn on verbose logging for task sequences? This is my first foray into using OSD, I've only used MDT/WDS in the past.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much!

Are you looking at the log off the client being imaged? Should be located at x:\smstslog\smsts.log (location after the disk gets formatted) You can hit F8 during the TS to bring up a command prompt and from there either copy the file to a USB and open it in CMTrace or open notepad from that command prompt and navigate to the above log.

<EDIT>

Might need the storage controller driver imported to the boot image. Or if it's HP or Dell (not sure on others) you can grab the PXE drivers and import those and add them to the boot image.

Storage drivers are on the boot image, as far as I can tell. On my old boot images I used the Dell PXE drivers and they worked fine, so I could try those again.

And yes, I was using the log on the client. It doesn't appear to contain much information regarding the step it was on, but I will double check it. I could post the log if that would help.

Physical machines, correct.

I'm going to experiment with some stuff tomorrow. I'll try disabling the UEFI step in the task sequence. I think it may just be a matter of turning various things off and on, changing configs until I can find a working solution.

Never had this much difficulty with MDT, it was basically plug and play.