broonster

Removing Expired Updates from SUPs and DPs

Hi There,

I've been reading this article http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2012/04/12/software-update-content-cleanup-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager.aspx

which covers removing expired updates from SCCM 2012. In one part it states "we never delete any expired update associated with an active deployment" and later states "After 7 days, expired updates that are not associated with active deployments, are tomb-stoned".

Can someone clarify exactly what an active deployment is?

For Windows/MS updates I have an ADR that runs every month which creates a new SUG for each patch Tuesday, the monthly SUG is associated with a quarterly Deployment Package and is deployed to my devices. So basically for Windows/MS Updates each calendar year I have 4 Deployment Packages with 3 monthly SUGs "inside them". Are all of my monthly SUG deployments considered "active deployments"?

Cheers

Craig

An active Deployment for a Software Update Group is a deployment that's not disabled, meaning it's enabled :)

Use my Clean Software Update Groups extension:

http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2015/03/15/clean-software-update-groups-console-extension-for-configmgr-2012/

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen your tool and I am very interested in using it but my concerns still stand. Going by your description ALL my WU SUGs are active and the TechNet blog clearly says "we never delete any expired update associated with an active deployment"?

So where does this leave me?

Yeah, I've seen your tool and I am very interested in using it but my concerns still stand. Going by your description ALL my WU SUGs are active and the TechNet blog clearly says "we never delete any expired update associated with an active deployment"?

So where does this leave me?

Technet blog says 'we never delete any expired update associated with an active deployment, as we don’t want to remove anything associated with your deployments. It could be disconcerting if updates simply disappeared from your deployments and you had no idea why, so we just don’t do it.' it doesnt mean you should not delete the expired updates from active deployment. It depends how the organisations choose to do but i always delete the expired updates when ever i notice the updates expired to see all green color ;) Deleting the expired updates also have impact on the packages (update to distribution points) so must look for schedule time when to remote the expired updates.