Scottpowers82

Computers not showing up in assigned collections

So, I have started noticing a bit of an odd issue with my SCCM collections. I have several computers (3 for sure, probably more that I don't know about) that don't seem to be being put into certain collections for some reason other than my "All Workstations" collection. I typically use query based collections and thought it may have had something to do with my query, but even manually adding the computer to a collection doesn't seem to work. The computer will still show as only being in the one "All Workstations" collection. This obviously creates a problem as there are certain critical apps that I am trying to deploy to various machines and they aren't getting them since they are not in the correct collection.

Has anyone else experienced something like this where they can't put a computer into a collection?

Some details:

- I have tried re-installing the SCCM client and deleted/re-added computer into SCCM

- Machine has been re-imaged using SCCM

- Changed the SCCM GUID number via right-click tools (honestly, didn't really know what that would do, but gave it a try)

- Used a "Direct" based entry of collection, but computer still doesn't show up

- Rt. clicked and manually added computer to collection, but still doesn't show up

Am currently using SCCM 2012 R2. Don't have SP1 installed yet, but am thinking about going ahead and installing it to see if that may fix the issue since it seems to maybe be a bug.

Have tried searching internet and forums, but haven't come across this issue from what I have seen.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Peter,

The collection that I am trying to add it to is limited to the All Workstation collection and it picks up most of the other machines but not all. Maybe a few more details may help...

I have one collection called "All Hilltop Computers" with a query designed to look for all computers with "HT" mentioned in the name. That collection is limited to the "All Workstation" Collection. However, the "All Hilltop Computers" collection currently shows 143 members. But, when I go to the "All Workstations" collection and just do a search for "HT", I get back 168 results. So, I am essentially doing the same search over the same data, but am getting two different results between the two different collections.

Thinking it may just be something with the collection itself, I tried creating a new collection with the same query and same limiting collection and watched the colleval.log file. Again, it shows up as only 143 members and no errors or warnings in the log file.

Of course this comes at a time as well when I am trying to convince my boss's of how usefully SCCM can be and that we should keep using it and, hopefully, use it even more...

Any other advice/ideas?

Just a couple more notes on this...I was doing some more digging and some of my other collections are definitely have the same issue...

Note: All of these collections use the "All Workstation" collection as the limiting collection...

- My "All High School Computers" Collection shows 580 members...but doing the same query manually in "All Workstations" returns 695

- My "All Middle School Computers" Collection shows 774 members...but doing the same query manually in "All Workstations" returns 854

- My "All Vermont School Computers" Collection shows 143 members...but doing the same query manually in "All Workstations" returns 158

- My "All Elm School Computers" Collection shows 140 members...but doing the same query manually in "All Workstations" returns 159

- My "All BOE Computers" Collection shows 21 members...but doing the same query manually in "All Workstations" returns 26

Obviously, something strange is afoot here, but can't seem to figure out what it may be...

OK, so I think I may finally have an idea of what is going on here. Typically, when we go to reimage a machine, we might delete it out of SCCM if there any any issues with getting it to pull up the list of assigned task sequences. That way, when you PXE boot the machine again, it gets the full list of task sequences that are assigned to my unknown computer collections. I'm thinking that the computers that are "missing" from my various collections are those that were at one point deleted from SCCM. However, once the machine is imaged and the SCCM client reloaded, shouldn't SCCM pick up the machines and then re-assign them to the appropriate collection based on my query?

I've now had to manually go through my devices list and add them myself into certain collections for certain deployments to work. I'm sure it's something that I'm doing wrong, but if I can't rely on SCCM to do it's query's reliably, the software does nothing for me...

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Scott

"when I go to the "All Workstations" collection and just do a search for "HT" " ....

I wouldn't use that as my sole criteria for determining that you are or are not getting all machines with "HT" in their name. Some of your results might not have HT in their NAME... but might have those characters in other attributes about those machines. You might want to instead use a report in sql, something like "show me all the machines in v_fullcollectionmembership_valid where collectionid = 'your all workstations collectionid' and name like 'ht%'

GarthMJ, thanks for the reply! Here is a sample query statement that I use to pull in any workstation with "HS" in the computer name. Also, I should note that I did write the statement myself (not as versed in SQL as I should be yet), but instead used the built in tools in SCCM to generate the code.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.Name like "%HS%"

Also, I realize that by deleting the device from SCCM that it would remove the device from all of it's related collections. However, once a machine is reimaged and given the proper name, wouldn't SCCM also re-allocate that device and place it into the appropriate collection when it does either an incremental or full update on the collection? I feel that I am missing something (probably obvious) on this part, which may explain my confusion.

Skissinger, thanks for the advice on the naming. However, If I understand you correctly, by using this method, I would likely get all machines with "HT" in the computer name in my collection in addition to anything else that may have "HT" in another attribute associated to it. But, in my case, the opposite seems to be happening in that the machines are not even appearing in the collection in the first place. Also, while most of my collections are based on the computer name, I do have others that might query for the model of the machine instead (I mostly use these for OSD) and those also do not seem to pick up the device correctly once the machine has been reimaged.

Is this perhaps a bug in 2012? I am not yet up to SP1 yet, although I am hoping to do that upgrade soon along with the CU2 update that followed SP1. Maybe there is a bug fix in one of those updates related to this?

Again, thank you both, and anyone else with advice, for any help you can provide...

Scott

1. yes, if you query is written right they will automatically fall into the correct collection at the next collection refresh cycle.

2. Your query will only ever find computers that have the CM12 client installed. If they don't have the CM12 Client install, then they will never show up within the collection but they might show up within the All Workstation collection. It will depend on how you have written your All Workstation collection.

3. That not exactly what Sherry is suggesting. In the console if you type HT to find all HTxxx computers within the All Workstations collection. Then you would get any get all computer with HTxxx for the computer name AND you would also get all computers with a user that has HT in their user name too. Therefore make sure that you counts are correct.

4. I hate to say this but, if this is a bug, it is going to be in the way you written your collection queries, but it will not be a bug in CM12 itself.