George

Run custom WinPE image with SCCM

Question

Hi everyone!

A little crazy post but... why not? :D

I have customized WinPE image that perfectly work with simple DHCP, TFTP and PXE. WinPE image loads graphic drivers, network drivers, mstsc console etc... i call it - "ThinClient" :P

Now, if i want to use SCCM PXE capabilities for other Windows xp/7 clients i can't use my "ThinClient" because SCCM PXE works differently, i have to change my DHCP options for SCCM wdsnbp.com file and more other settings...

Is there any option inside SCCM to create PXE task and boot unchanged (as is) WinPE image for specific collection? I tried to import my WinPE "ThinClient" into SCCM Boot Images and update distribution point but it creates some different WinPE image and deletes all my customizations :(

Thanks for help! :)

6 answers to this question

What is your goal with adding this custumized WinPE image?

We have a lot of remote desktop users. They don't have HHD's on their pc's and only use "ThinClient" image described before. But now we need to use SCCM to support regular pc's in the same location but it is not works together. I want to create collection named "Thin Clients" and assign my WinPE image to it.

So if I understand you correctly you want to use the custumized WinPE version as an OS Image, instead of a bootimage?

Yes, rather like. I want to create collection with all pc's that don't have harddisk, assign task and use "Always rerun" option. All pc's in collection will load this image again and again like normal thin cliens OS.

Update!

Got it! Simply simultaneously replace boot.SITECODE.wim file at SMSIMAGES\SMSPKG\ and original location with any wim file you want and system will boot this image to any station that located in collection where boot from PXE task assigned. To always boot computers in collection from PXE I set “Always re-run advertisement”. I think it is easy way to manage “Thin PXE” computers (like BART PE or ThinStation) and Windows computers with SCCM.

:rolleyes:

Hi there,

i searching arround now for more than a week and i think the goal of that what i want to do is the same as george described in the first post.

I want a WDS PXE WinPE boot image that can be used as a "thinclient" to connect to a remote desktop sessions host (all with Windows Server 2008)

So can someone desribe it step by step what is to do to get such an image?

regards jada