truongtr

Deploying Portable Application

Question

8 answers to this question

I really like using Shortcut.exe from Optimum X

Another SCCM shortfall if I must point out

Needs Administrator/System privileges

cmd /c shortcut.exe /F:"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\!VSubst.lnk" /A:C /T:"C:\Windows\VSubst.exe" /P:^"U: C:\Users\^%username^%^" /D:"Substitute U drive"

Only needs user privileges

cmd /c shortcut.exe /F:"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\!VSubst.lnk" /A:C /T:"C:\Windows\VSubst.exe" /P:^"U: C:\Users\^%username^%^" /D:"Substitute U drive"

You could create a package with all the contents of the portable app in it. Also manually pre-create a shortcut from the portable app and place it in the same package source and create a batch file named copy.bat for example and place it in the package also. The syntax of the batch file will be something along the lines of this, you can tidy this it up I am sure ;)

@Echo
xcopy ".\*.*" "C:\PortableApp" /D /E /C /I /Q /H /R /Y /S
xcopy "%~dp0portableApp.lnk" "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" /y
DEL /F /S /Q /A c:\PortableApp\copy.bat
DEL /F /S /Q /A c:\PortableApp\PortableApp.lnk
@exit

Content:

Sourcecontent.PNG

Initially make sure that you create the package contents and place them in a location where you'd like them to be deployed to and then send a shortcut from the application out to the desktop and copy back into the sources folder, make sure that the location you are copying the source files is accessible to all users i:e C:\portableApp for example... create your SCCM package and the command line will be copy.bat

You can test the above manually before deploying it in mass

Lol... your obviously around a lot longer than I am :P

Please do provide how you would do this as this is a learning curve for a lot of users on this forum, including myself.

The above is a quick and simple way to solve the issue that truongtr had.

I am sure there are numerous ways to achieve this and that is just one of them.

BTW as you can see scripting is not my forte but I do try and do achieve! :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by The best SCCM has to offer but there is no denying it, it's a pretty powerful application, the rolls Royce in my own opinion!