g-fx

Java 8 Update 66

Question

Today I needed to package up the latest version of java, so I thought I'd share how I went about it. Im not a pro, there will be others out there with better skills at this than I but this is what works for me in order to make a nice package to deploy via SCCM.

Im not going through all the steps as Im sure most of you will understand already how to extract exe's, publish apps etc.

anyways.. lets begin...

Now I did x64 and x86 flavors so do this for both.

1. Create a new transform for your MSI using orca, Instead, Tuner..whatever you use.

2. Add a registry key under HKLM\Software\JavaSoft called 'Java Update'

3. Add another key under HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Update called Policy

4. Add a DWORD called 'EnableAutoUpdateCheck' with the value of 0. This disables the automatic update check.

5. Add another DWORD called "EnableJavaUpdate" with the value of 0. This disables the Update Tab in the Java Control Panel

Looks like this:

java1.png

So that was the easy part for me.. unfortunately the package creates a dirty java start menu folder :angry: so that typically would mean I need to either run a group policy preference or vbs/powershell/batch script to delete it. I don't like to run a wrapper, or have settings in multiple places... I just want to use a native msi to easily add to SCCM.

In order to get around this Im going to create a custom action. again Im not a pro but this is what I did...

6. In the Directory Table I create a new row for System Folder

java2.PNG

7. In the CustomAction Table I created an action called RemoveStartMenu with the target of "[systemFolder]cmd.exe" /C rmdir "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Java" /S /Q

java3.PNG

8. In the InstallExecuteSequence Table I added my Action with a Sequence number of 3193.. just before the InstallFinalize

Java4.PNG

9. Save the transform, copy it to your source folder for SCCM and create your new SCCM Application.

I hope this helps someone out

:)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet