spgsitsupport

Remedy if file does NOT exist

If it were me, I'd have a copy of the file I want copied in to every machine (if needed) at the source. then in the source, as well, a script. Whether you want to use posh or vbscript, or whatever you are comfortable with. Where that script copies the file from the "current location" of where the script is running from, to the target location on the machine. test the script outside of CM, when running as SYSTEM.

Then in the application logic, "what means installed" is the existence of that file, in that location. That's how I would do it, because it sounds like a relatively easy script to write up.

Well, to me, the core issue is that you are looking to deliver content. so the "content", has to be defined. Where is that file coming from? You could be asking it to copy it from \\ThisServerOverHereThatHasNothingToDoWithConfigMgrInfrastructure\SomeShare; or you might have a file in the source. ConfigMgr is just the delivery van. You have to tell it what is inside the box, and how to unpack the box, and whether it should be "this end up" and "fragile" or "just toss it out the window in the general direction of the front door and hope for the best". It's all up to you.... :)

I see that you miss a point, delivery man is "dumb" worker. SCCM is supposed to be the BRAINS of the operation.

I am not asking how to copy file (but even this is not done "properly" in SCCM, one has to create script (no matter how simple or cleaver))

I am asking why Compliance& Remedy does NOT work for filesystem

If you have nothing else to add, then please feel free to ignore this question

Well I don't work for Microsoft, so I certainly can't answer a "why does the product not do this". All I can offer is that if you want it to do that, you can check out https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com and look to see if that particular idea has already been submitted. If so, vote on it. If not, submit the suggestion and it might be added to a future update.

There is a simple solution to this. Create a APPLICATION that uses a "script" deployment type. Set the "detection method" which checks if your file exists. Set the deployment command of the apllication to a simple script that copies your file to the destination you want. Deploy it as Required.

So now, sccm will use the detecfion method to check if youre file exists. If it does, nothing happens. If if doesnt, sccm deploys your application (which is just a script that copies your file into your location).

An alternative to my suggestion above is, create a config baseline that checks if your file exists. Then create a collection based on all non-compliant results of this config baseline. Finally deploy a package to this collection. Voila!! Amazing what sccm can do, just requires a bit of thought :)